We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First time mortgage applicant with debt

Hi everyone

I am hoping for some good honest advice please, as losing a bit of sleep on this one at the moment.

I am a single 43 year-old with hopes to get on the property ladder soon after many years of renting. I am very lucky that I have a gift to assist with a deposit when the time comes, and work full time with a salary of approx. £42,000.

Unfortunately I come saddled with some chunky debt (I am afraid completely of my own making with bad financial investments on stocks and shares over several years).

My debts are:

Credit Card Debt - £11,000 on two 0% cards with approximate 90% and 60% usage respectively.

Personal Loan - £5,500 (£400 a month, ends Nov 27)

Overdraft - £2,500 maxed out by payday each month, but with a very low interest rate.

I have just withdrawn the £6,000 I had in financial stocks and shares account and have now closed it for good and that £6k will be with me in two days.

My question is, in terms of applying for a mortgage in principle and trying to get one in the next 6 months or so, where should that £6,000 go to present my application in the best possible light? Am I best to pay it towards the overdraft and credit card and leave the loan alone?

AI searches suggest regular overdraft usage has the biggest negative impact on a mortgage in principle application, so perhaps clearing that is my first thing to do. But I do not know the best strategy to go for.

This is a mess of my own making, but I am really keen to move on and do my best to turn things around.

Any suggestions on which debts to prioritise first would be most helpful to me :-)

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    Ignore AI. There is no definitive answer. Some lenders will ignore overdraft debt as there are no contractual payments, others will decline you if you are maxing it out monthly - very different ends of the scale.

    When it comes to debt you should theoretically pay off the highest interest rate first.

    But just to make my life easier…

    If you clear your loan of £5,500 with then you have £400 extra a month which would clear your overdraft within 6 months.

    The extra £500 you could throw at your credit cards and then within 6 months you are down to about £10k on credit cards - which isnt great, but it isnt too bad. You could also then start chucking the £400 a month you have been saving from the loan at the credit cards and have them coming down quite quickly.

    Whatever changes you make today probably wont be reflected in your credit report until November, it can take time to filter through but 6 months time if you go hard would look very different to where you are today.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm not a mortgage advisor.

    I think i would aim to reduce the utilisation on your credit cards down to max 30% and then have as small an overdraft as possible by a combination of using your 6k wisely and cutting back on expenditure.

    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
  • mcajshaw
    mcajshaw Posts: 132 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    Thank you for your replies both, they are most helpful.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.