We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Interactive Investor - use pending cash for new trades

I was under the impression that I have to wait for cash from any sales to settle before I can use that cash to buy a new investment.

However I am making some movements around this week, and I noticed that II seems to be using "pending" cash to pay for my purchases.

Have I misunderstood how this works? Maybe it will let me use pending cash if the settlement date is on the same date or earlier than the settlement date for the investment that I am buying?

Comments

  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 18,669 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!

    Some platforms such as II support the use of pending cash from selling investments, some (from memory BestInvest) may not. It works simply because there are n days for your buyer to come up with the cash but generally you dont have to pay for your purchase for the same n days. There may be a short mismatch but if so, I believe it is covered by the platform. It hasn't caused problems in my experience.

    However they wont let you withdraw the money until the transactions have been settled.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.