We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Paying off mortgage

My 1.54% mortgage deal is ending. I have two loans - one is interest only, the other is repayment.

Fixed rates are much higher, nearer 5% now.

I'm fortunate enough to have saved well during the 5 year fixed rate, and am in a position to pay off the two loans.

My question is, should I? Being mortgage free would be great, but my current monthly payments that I'd not be paying would make no difference to me. The increased payments would hurt, even if I continue with the 50/50 mortgage. I'm wondering if I should invest, find a savings account paying more than my new mortgage rate, which is likely 4.84%, or just get rid of it.

«1

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,142 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    Whats the duration on your mortgage(s)? If you pay them off, does it wipe out your savings?

  • I'm 53, mortgage finishes when I'm 64.

    No, not all my savings will be wiped out.

    My savings are for retirement as I only have a small workplace pension.

  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 2,993 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Your workplace pension is a savings account likely the best savings deal you can get.

    How do you pay into your workplace pension? Sal Sac? Does your employer match your contributions at all, to a limit?

    Would the pension grow by more than you can save by paying the mortgage off?

    How would reallocating your mortgage payment, even if quite small, to your pension enhance your pension?

    If you saved the mortgage payment into a saving account would you pay tax on the interest?

    Can you decant your savings directly into your pension or contribute more via sal sac and live off your savings, whilst still retaining an emergency fund?

    Quite a few questions but the answer is never simple yes or no and other opportunities might lead to a better long term situation. So worth investigating and understanding wider options.

    Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!

    One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.
  • My workplace pension is an investment not a savings account.

    Not salary sacrifice, employer pays 3%, I pay 5%

    Don't know, no crystal ball.

    Don't know

    Yes, I'd pay tax, unless I used the remaining of my wife's tax allowance.

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,490 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 September at 5:44AM

    It's no wonder your workplace pension is small with a personal 5% contribution. I would suggest that your should be your focus rather than a savings account or paying off the mortgage.

    It doesn't take a crystal ball to see that 20% tax relief on any pension contributions is quite attractive.

  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Watch yesterdays GMB - Martin went through this and if I remember there are calculators online (maybe even on this site) that can help

  • StewedApple
    StewedApple Posts: 232 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    It's tempting to see to frame this question as a binary "Should I pay off my mortgage or not?" when the real question is "What's strategy can I adopt which will maximise my financial position?"

    It's fashionable to extol the advantages of living mortgage-free but as you're realising this may not be in your best interest. You may gain more from an approach which maximises your investment of the money you already have and maintain a mortgage which is both manageable and comparatively low in any event.

    Increasing your pension contributions will certainly be tax advantageous, an investment ISA in some select funds, and a cash buffer for the unexpected may be a more rewarding strategy than "I paid off my mortgage".

    Worth doing the legwork on the options.

  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 25,137 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper

    but my current monthly payments that I'd not be paying would make no difference to me.

    Why? As you would have that amount free to invest as you see fit?

    Life in the slow lane
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Investing rather than paying off the mortgage early is a valid choice. However you haven't said how familiar you currently are with investing. It's not rocket science, but it's very different to saving.

    I probably wouldn't go down the road of saving rather than paying off your mortgage. If your mortgage will be 4.84% going forward it's unlikely you will find savings accounts that pay significantly more than that.

    From what you've said in this thread I would pay off both mortgages now. Then being mortgage free you can concentrate on increasing your pension and Stocks & Shares ISAs in the coming years before retirement.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.