We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New to DMP

Hi - I'm grateful to have read so many posts here that are very helpful.

I have c. £80,000 of debt. I have always paid the minimum amounts and have never missed a payment in 35 years. I had considered 're-financing' 'again' but I didn't do it. In the last 4 months, this has become more and more unmanageable. This month I used pretty much all credit to see me through to payday. I earn a decent wage (90K) but have considerable high priority payments.

I haven't done a SOA but I plan to do that today. I want to self manage a DMP as soon as possible.

My DDs for my (6) credit cards and loan (Lendable) will leave my current account (with an overdraft to the max) in the next day or so. I want to take action very quickly because unfortunately, I will lose employment in the coming days.

I have read the posts very quickly over the last few days, and want to check with experienced people here, should I simply cancel the DDs today? even though I don't have a full plan as yet?

I want to open a current account today that isn't associated to any of my creditors. Would a current account with Revolut be sufficient or another online bank account or would the advice be to stay with a traditional current account?

Lastly, is there any benefit to keeping one credit card and maintaining the minimal amount to keep a line of credit? I know that sounds like a stupid question but I wanted to know if that is something anyone thinks is a good idea.

Thank you.

Comments

  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Sorry to read and run but get those DDs cancelled now before its too late.

    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,097 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier

    I have bookmarked your thread so I can look at your soa when it comes. What will it show as income now that you have lost your job?

    If you were struggling before, then you will struggle more when out of work so yes, cancel Dds to nonpriority debts immediately.

    I see no reason why a Revolut account would not work for you.

    Normally we would not recommend keeping one card open. But what is the plan for the next few weeks? If that is the only way of getting through short-term difficulty then you do what you need to do.

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Any current account that's not linked to your creditors will do, I'd say the online ones are better then the traditional ones as they tend to hedge better apps and better budgeting features.

  • SpireCaptain
    SpireCaptain Posts: 200 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    Totally agree with this.

    OP I've opened Monzo and Starling in preparation for my DMP starting. Leaving Barclays and Halifax behind after 20 years. I would highly recommend either for your needs and as Rob says their budget/savings spaces are really handy. I've never got to the start of a month with all my bills already covered since 2016 but October's is all there ready and waiting.

    All non priority debts DDs have been cancelled in the past fortnight and so far only 2 emails and 2 letters from Barclaycard.

    You're in the right place for the best advice and support. Good luck, I'll be following with interest as my indebtedness is circa £80k as well.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.