We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New question nhs scheme

PoGee
PoGee Posts: 824 Forumite
Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

I've had to delay retirement due to issues with sppa. While waiting for the ombudsman to review matters, I'll take partial retirement starting in June of next year. I've reduced hours by 33% (edit - reducing by 50% not 33%).

Forms with manager and HR.

Still to send NHS:ret form. Am I correct in thinking I can take all my 1995 portion and leave the 2015 untouched?

My partial retirement income from employment and pension will mean I'll pay tax on my pension. I do a self assessment each year due to rental income. I don't want the tax owed on the pension to be taken from my wages - can I ask HMRC to just send me a bill as they usually do (for my rental income)?

Comments

  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes, you can partially retire, put the 1995 pension into payment and leave the 2015 pension untouched. I believe any tax due from the pension payment will taken as PAYE from the pension payment rather than your wages.

  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 2,374 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The tax on your pension should be taken automatically so no question of asking for a bill.

    To add more detail, if your employment uses all of your taxable allowance then all of your pension will be taxable. If you are a 40% tax payer they will adjust the code on your pension to take account of being a higher rate taxpayer.

  • PoGee
    PoGee Posts: 824 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 28 September at 9:45PM

    Thanks for replies. I'm a base rate tax payer. My 3 sources of income (employment, pension, rental income) should be between £38 and £40k. Working 2 days a week. Our health-board doesn't have a pension officer, which doesn't help.

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,351 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    My partial retirement income from employment and pension will mean I'll pay tax on my pension. I do a self assessment each year due to rental income. I don't want the tax owed on the pension to be taken from my wages

    You'll pay the same tax overall during the year. Both your wages and your pension are taxed under PAYE (ie with deductions for tax each month), so it won't actually make much, if any, difference to the amount of cash you receive in your bank account each month on an ongoing basis - a point I raise because it was entirely missed by this poster if you read their opening post:

    I wondered if you too had read the same unhelpful 'guidance' they seem to have found?

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • PoGee
    PoGee Posts: 824 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper

    I looked at the post you suggested Marcin but don't really understand it. As long as it (tax) gets deducted and I don't need to do myself, that's simpler.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.