We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Vanguard app for Pension Drawdown - advice please

2»

Comments

  • EAB2
    EAB2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes of course, which is why you can get annuities that track RPI etc, but for a cost

    So in the penultimate example here, you pay £39k for a £12,570 tax-free income (Using your allowance) for 20 years - that's 6.6% risk free.

    I quite like that as a fixed income option for a portion of the pension.

    Anyway, I've gone way off my own topic 😂

    image.png
  • ian16527
    ian16527 Posts: 309 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes RoysV, that was the rule, but do not know if they have changed that too.

    Regarding the phone call, I still had to have one in January but my wife did not have to have a call in May although it was for a low amount.

  • RogerPensionGuy
    RogerPensionGuy Posts: 985 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I'm also trying to fully understand how a flexi access drawdown actually works.

    I have a SIPP that is all in a pre retirement account, so uncrystallised and I want it to stay uncrystallised until I use it just in case the LTA goes up(I have previous used all my 268K TFLS)

    I am/was/thinking of just doing another annuity to empty me SIPP completely, but now more thinking leaving the SIPP mature, but maybe just draining it at 2 or 2.5% PA ongoing to provide a little more net cash flow every month and if we enter a market downturn, just stop the withdrawals as this is income not needed thankfully.

    In my ideal world, I was hoping to keep 85% or 90% of the SIPP in a low cost until like the VALL from Vanguard and 10% or 15% in STMMFs and every month the SIPP platform will just sell the STMMFs to pay my monthly payments.

    However it sounds like I will somehow have to top up the drawdown pot every period to ensure the drawdown pot has sufficient funds to pay the X amount of £s every month.

    I will try looking on YouTube to see if I can find the exact way these platforms do this process from uncrystallised pot to drawdown pot.

    If anyone can post a simple link on here as to how best easyist way to achieve what I'm looking for would be much appreciated.

    I've worked hard to fill my pensions with value and want to try hard to maximise my net income and especially as I can switch off my SIPP drawdown for years or forever if I desire.

    TIA Roger.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.