We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Impaired annuity quotes

Hello,

I am considering purchasing an impaired annuity with my £300k pension pot at age 55 due to history of stroke 10 years ago.

So far I have got quotes from the moneyhelper website and have been looking at the sharingpension website.

Please can I ask for advice about best next steps to get the best deal to maximise my annual income?

Thanks in advance

Comments

  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 23,464 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I would consult an IFA with regard to the best deal you can get. IFAs can check rates across all providers, including specialist companies that do not deal directly with the public.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,808 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I've selected an enhanced annuity via HUB which is a pension advice company that my employer uses. I don't know if the Belfast offices that I had contact with offer their services to the general public but I believe the larger HUB group does.

    The process with HUB was for me to discuss with them my various medical issues/diagnosis and then they did a search of their data base of pension admin companies and came back to me with the 5 best quotes. I then chose the company I wanted to handle my annuity and applied giving the parameters of the annuity (guarantee period, % annual increase etc).

    The whole thing has taken me a long time to sort out mostly due to having new medical issues being discovered. On the plus side because I was dealing with hospital consultants that were writing to my surgery with test results I had immediate access to my medical records that I could provide as part of the application.

    I had originally tried to find a suitable IFA but was very disappointed. I don't know if they didn't want me as a client due to my funds not being of high enough value but some simply didn't respond after initial enquiries, others gave me blatantly wrong information and one simply out and out lied to me.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    With £300k, I would have thought an IFA would be better value than a commission-based website. (an IFA with a capped fee or tiered fee would be better than commission that is uncapped).

    Also, providers have stated over the years that the medical details they get via IFAs allows them to make better pricing decisions than those sent via websites.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,366 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,808 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    The IFA told me that he couldn't have me as a client as I'm not British. When I questioned this he went on to say no IFA could have me as a client due to this as all IFA clients must have UK citizenship. Frankly this is so preposterous as the company pension that I wanted him to help me with is from when I worked for one of the largest banks on the high street for 15 years and I know very well that a large portion of it's employees are not British but, like me, are legal residents of the UK.

    If, instead, he had said that I would do better seeking advice from someone who also deals with foreign investments (which I also mentioned I was inheriting) I would have understood as I know not everyone has the knowledge to deal with such things.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Thank you for the advice

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.