We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

My StepChange DMP setup - need advice on how to continue

2»

Comments

  • Rob5342
    Rob5342 Posts: 3,123 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I think Sourcrates and Grumpstilskin have covered what I meant by you can do what you want, essentially you just pick a repayment strategy that suits you and that's what they get so they have to live with it.

    I've done both a Stepchange managed DMP and a self managed DMP, the self managed DMP gave me much more flexibility which is why I'm in favour of it. In my case I stopped paying PRA after I made a CCA request and bumped up the payments on a relatively small Tesco credit debt I had to get rid of it quickly. That was very easy when self managing as I just changed the standing orders and sent a couple of emails, Stepchange might have paused the PRA payments if I'd asked them too but probably wouldn't have increased the Tesco paymenta so much, but either way asking them to change things would have taken longer than the two minutes it took in my banking and email apps.

    I have mixed feelings about Stepchange. I did find them very useful when I first started my DMP, and if it hadn't have been for them then I might not have taken the step of starting to tackle them, but once I began to understand the process and felt more confident I found them to be much more of a hindrance than a help, complicating what should be simple matters.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.