We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Special delivery query

neilc75
neilc75 Posts: 24 Forumite
Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

I sent a birthday card to a relative yesterday, special delivery to arrive before 1pm , the card included a number of collectable pin badges that belonged to me that I was giving as a gift , I paid £14.94 to get it there by today as he is going overseas for a while tomorrow, I checked the RM website today and it stated that the package was not delivered due to the recepient not living there ? , I checked the address on the receipt which I have and it is correct , I'm assuming that I'm entitled to a full postage refund as they didn't do what I asked them to do , however if the items don't get returned to me what will the RM ask for as proof of contents ? , I don't have any , their website states that you can claim up to £750. I'm not going to scam them , however the contents were worth about £45 and I'm assuming that they are going to ask for some proof of value of contents . I've just called their customer services and the hold time is estimated to be approx 1hr and 16 mins and they close at 1500. I appreciate that I need to speak to them first , however does anyone have any experience of having to prove what was in their undelivered package ? Thanks in advance .

Comments

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,477 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    If it cannot be delivered it will come back to you- hopefully you did put your return address on the package?

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    NeilC75 said -

    I paid £14.94 to get it there by today as he is going overseas for a while tomorrow, I checked the RM website today and it stated that the package was not delivered due to the recipient not living there ? , I checked the address on the receipt which I have and it is correct , I'm assuming that I'm entitled to a full postage refund as they didn't do what I asked them to do ,

    Why would you be entitled to a full refund on postage? If you put a return address on it then they will return it to you. If not it will be returned to a returns center and opened to find your details - and if they do then it will be returned to you.

    It will be hard to prove they attempted delivery at the wrong address, other than your relative didn't receive it. Is the address correct, is it written clearly. You can complain to the post office, however I'm not sure what they will say, as they will say they delivered it to the address on the envelope and as the person didn't live their they have returned it, for filling the contract they had with you. Unless its obvious that you posted it to Leeds and it went to Liverpool.

    Proud to have dealt with our debts
    Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • neilc75
    neilc75 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker

    I'll be honest I think Im entitled to a full refund as they literally haven't done what I paid them to do , even if they do return it to me then what difference does that make? I still need to send it again , the address was correct , I checked it before and since , my relative was at the address all day and no attempt was made to deliver it , there's no photo evidence at all , I don't think that were all good because they send it back , why should I have to pay for that ? , that's down to them . Also the post office can't say that they delivered it there and the person didn't live there , how would they know ? , the only way they would know is if someone opened the door and confirmed that the person didn't live there, which wasn't the case .

  • MyRealNameToo
    MyRealNameToo Posts: 5,197 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    Have you checked the postcode? Postcode and door number is basically the only thing thats used so if you put in the wrong postcode they will just do the door number on whatever address the postcode you put resolves to.

    By the sounds of it they attempted deliver but whoever answered didnt recognise the addressee and refused delivery.

    They shouldnt need to ask for evidence of the contents, it will be returned to you in a few days due to the failed delivery. If it doesnt then you put in a claim, you will need to submit whatever evidence you can find of both the fact you owned the items and what their current secondhand price would be. For £45 claim hopefully the queries wont be too heavy

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.