We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

John Lewis Rewards

John Lewis currently have a rewards offer of £60 off £500 Fashion & Home. I read the exclusions carefully and electrical items aren't specifically excluded (list of exclusions below, though I was advised that they are trying to amend these as soon as possible to clarify because other people have queried what I queried).

As the basket wasn't adjusted accordingly, I rang to check and was advised that electrical goods were excluded from the offer. I questioned this and was advised that all electrical goods come under the technology exclusion. I questioned this as I didn't consider that electrical goods sit within technology, but I was advised that technology is used to make them, therefore, they come under technology. I suggested that sofa's are made with technology too, but they weren't being excluded. He said that John Lewis would be pedantic if they excluded sofas because they were made with technology. I asked him if I would be able to buy a dishwasher if I visited their technology department in a store and was advised, unsurprisingly, that I wouldn't be able to. I asked for a complaint to be registered, he said I could do this but it wouldn't affect the outcome as all electrical goods were specifically excluded (but only if you consider they come under technology). I would have been quite happy to accept that the £60 discount was not applicable, if electrical goods had been specifically excluded (not difficult to use those words, given some of the unusual exclusions listed below - I mean carrier bags?).

*Exclusions include: All technology and beauty, Egg and Oyster, Apple products and accessories , Longchamp, Pre-Loved Handbags, gaming and software products, Tony's Chocolonely, made to measure orders (curtains, blinds, tracks, and poles), gift cards (including third party), delivery charges, carrier bags, John Lewis & Partners Foodhalls, John Lewis & Partners cafes and restaurants, Waitrose/Little Waitrose & Partners, alcohol-related products, hampers, restaurant concessions, Protect Plus services, warranties, installations and repairs, John Lewis Opticians, Kuoni and Bureau de change. This offer cannot be used at Swindon Outlet.

Comments

  • Woodstok2000
    Woodstok2000 Posts: 2,192
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    So electrical goods are excluded. Is there a question here?

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,569
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    John Lewis have a promotion.

    Spend money on certain goods and get a discount.

    Unless you think that the promotional material or advertising is in some way misleading or fraudulent then I'm not sure what point you are trying to make (sofas are 'Technology'?).

    All sales/promotions/discounts/money-back deals have T&Cs, some are more transparent than others.

  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,575
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    The point I was making is, when I pointed out to the JL rep that electrical goods weren't specifically excluded in the T&Cs, the rep said that JL class dishwashers as technology (which is excluded). I said I would have expected them to be classed as electrical goods (which weren't specifically excluded). He said, dishwashers are made with the use of technology, so that is what they're classed as. I thought that was a lame excuse as pretty much everything is made with the use of technology now - even making a sofa would use technology at some point during its manufacture. He conceded that the T&Cs should've been clearer and they'll take it on board for the future, as I wasn't the only person the express this to them. My idea of technology is PCs, laptops, mobile 'phones, tablets, IT software, general IT related products etc - not kitchen appliances.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,569
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    My idea of technology is PCs, laptops, mobile 'phones, tablets, IT software, general IT related products etc - not kitchen appliances.

    My smart kettle would disagree.

  • 10_66
    10_66 Posts: 3,575
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Well there you go, I spend all that energy when turning on the kettle manually. Does your smart kettle fill itself with water and pour the boiled water for you too? 😆

  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,414
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 19,462
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Senior Ambassador
    edited 29 September at 6:46AM
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.