We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Local gov pension advice
Hi
I’m 57 retiring in Jan 27 and will start taking my local gov pension (£20,000 p/a) and I have rental income (£10,000 p/a)
I’m currently employed earning £59,000 but paying £3000 p/m into AVC via salary sacrifice.
I’m worried I’ll be over £50,000 threshold and have to pay 40% tax on my local gov pension. Do AVC/salary sacrifice reduce my taxable income? If so it should be well below 40% threshold?
Appreciate any insight/advice, thanks.
Comments
-
It sounds like you are currently a 40% tax payer but won't be when you retire. What makes you think otherwise?
FYI any earnings over £50,270 a year should be taxed at 40%.
0 -
Maybe he is taking the pension and continuing to work?
In any case my understanding is he/she would have to cut their work hours or grade if they did this so he/she will unlikely be earning 59k plus 20k pension plus 10k rental income.
0 -
Thanks for reply. I should've added more context. This year (April - Dec), I'll have earned £44,000 from salary and £7000 from rental income.
That would mean I'm over 40% threshold when I start taking local gov pension in Jan.
But I've paid £3000 p/m to AVC via salary sacrifice. So the taxable income is £21000 (ish). I'm assuming this means I'll only pay 20% on pension?
0 -
No I'm retiring. Just worried salary so far this year will take me over threshold. See response above thanks
0 -
I see. Is deferring for 3 months not feasible or are you knackered lol?
0 -
It's been deferred for 3 years, this is new job since I left local gov.
Yeah I'm knackered 😂
0 -
This makes a bit more sense. The £44k and £7k both count as taxable income, so you'll earn £51k income, which takes you into 40% territory. However you are right in saying that pension contributions essentially reduce your taxable income, so yes, you'll only have about £21k of taxable earnings by the end of December. As long as your pension income and other income is less than £29k between January and April the 5th then you'll be a 20% tax payer this tax year.
1 -
Thanks a lot 👍
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards