We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Nest pension transfer in to avoid 1.8%

2

Comments

  • olb81
    olb81 Posts: 299 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    haha i admit i am weird i am sure i will get used to the idea of a SIPP

    I used to hate the word pension too, but eventually realised its my only route to financial freedom!!!

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,880 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    You have just described a SIPP investing in nit linked funds. Indeed, you have just described the vast majorioty of the different types of pensions investing into unit linked funds.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • olb81
    olb81 Posts: 299 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    ok so the best solution is keep the nest open as my employer contributes to it

    then open a new vanguard Personal Pension ( they dont called it SIPP) and make any other one of contributions to this, to gain tax relief, and also invest in the funds I like.

    Then If I leave the employer, transfer nest to vanguard?

  • Could be Vanguard but doesn’t have to be. You’ll get low charges but have a more limited choice of funds, albeit they’re now enough to suit most people since they launched their new funds last month.

  • olb81
    olb81 Posts: 299 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    vanguard has loads of choice ? I mean for me I'd go for vhvg , veve, vwrl or vwrp, even the dev world ex uk ro global all cap, many choices, compare to nest, and the like with about 5 choices and only one or two equity funds.

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,880 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 30 September at 3:29PM

    then open a new vanguard Personal Pension ( they dont called it SIPP) and make any other one of contributions to this, to gain tax relief, and also invest in the funds I like.

    Its not called a SIPP because it isn't one.

    Technically, there is no official definition of a SIPP. However, for most people, SIPPs are whole of market and Vanguard is not whole of market. Indeed, its not whole of Vanguard either.

    Then If I leave the employer, transfer nest to vanguard?

    As mentioned higher up, that is what frequent movers often so. i.e. keep an individual plan where they consolidate their workplace pensions each time they change employer.

    vanguard has loads of choice ? 

    It does have sufficient choice. It's not the whole of the market, and most experienced investors won't use them. However, for an inexperienced investor they are perfectly adequate.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 3,722 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Get back in the collective scheme ASAP. Absolutely mad to not be in it

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,924 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 27 September at 9:49AM

    Agreed. Opting out of the collective scheme is a bizarre choice.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • olb81
    olb81 Posts: 299 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    can someone explain this collective scheme, is my pension pot viewable as simply as a DC pot in nest?

    Can I see what I've got in there, any time of night or day?

    Can I access this the same way I can my DC nest pot?

    thanks!

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,364 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.