We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Rising bond yields

Sense check if I may. I have IL gilts in a ladder, the last of which will mature in 2032. I intend to hold all until each matures. Given the current rising bond yields, do I need to be concerned?

Comments

  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 24 September at 12:12PM

    No - price movements are only random noise, what, ifs and maybes - if you hold until maturity.

    Mine don't mature until 2045/46 and I'm not bothering…..

  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 18,669 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!

    The whole point of using gilts is that both the ongoing interest and capital value at maturity (in £ or £+CPI) are guaranteed at the point you buy them. These guarantees are not affected by varying capital values in the mean time.

    The down side is that if you sell before maturity there is no guarantee. So it would rather defeat the object of the exercise should you plan on selling early.

  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 904 Forumite
    500 Posts Third Anniversary

    I just wish I was buying them now, not a year ago. The price has dropped 5% so in effect I’d be getting a better deal.

    I am topping them up though, I’ve added £2k so far this year to T35 by reinvesting the coupons from my 4 Gilts.

  • leosayer
    leosayer Posts: 921 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    No concern at all.

    If anything it should reinforce your decision to buy IL gilts because the market seems to be pricing higher inflation which you have protected yourself from.

  • Veloflyer
    Veloflyer Posts: 322 Forumite
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Chaps

    Thanks for the soothing of the fettered brow. Indeed I did buy ILGs to protect against a perceived rise in inflation. I did read up extensively ref gilts and simply wondered if I had overlooked anything in my philosophy ref rising yields etc, apart from HMG going bankrupt - which to me at least seems more likely than when I bought them, albeit still (hopefully!) vanishingly small.

  • leosayer
    leosayer Posts: 921 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    The Bank of England creates money for government expenditure such as making interest and maturity payments on gilts.

    So it can't go bankrupt.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.