We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Not everything is cheap at costco

As a trader I had the executive card and earned average £200 per year after paying the fees, now I've sold the shop and very rarely shop there as prices have shot up on alot of things, I earned £15.00 so I cancelled my executive to just a trade card. I just mainly use it for petrol, toilet roll, batteries and a few other things. Alot of items are cheaper in supermarkets but people think they are getting a bargain because it's bulk like cash and carry's but it's not. Take for instance soap powder, when the VAT was added it was nearly £5.00 more expensive. I always have my supermarket apps open and compare the prices, so just because its a big store with a big name doesn't make it cheaper.

Comments

  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 75,507
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador

    I'm a member as well and I don't think it was ever sold to me as always being cheaper than high street prices. For VAT registered traders there is the VAT advantage and some of their offers are very good . I find the meat quality exceptional although more expensive than deals in main street supermarkets.

    Just recently they have had some real bargains on good quality branded wine so I have stocked up for Christmas.

    I think it's like anything else, you need to shop around all the time .

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I gave up on Costco a few years back, I prefer my local supermarkets.

  • Some things are cheaper and better value in Costco and some are not.

    In other news the Pope is still Catholic.

    Things that are different: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid


★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.