We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
To IVA or not Iva
Hi everyone,
I’m looking for some guidance on my debt options because I’m getting conflicting advice and I’m feeling overwhelmed.
My situation:
- I’m a shared ownership homeowner with a mortgage and rent (50%)
- No dependants
- Single household
- Full‑time employment
- Recently assessed by PayPlan
- They said I have £56.32 surplus per month
- Total non‑priority debt: £41,448
- Priority arrears: £7,000 (mortgage + rent arrears)
- Some CCJs already in place- council tax
- I’ve been dealing with bereavement, mental health issues, ADHD burnout, and an autism diagnosis, which have all contributed to the debt situation
PayPlan told me I have two options:
- IVA
- £1 token payments and later settlement offers
Income & Expenditure (summary)
Monthly Income:
- Earnings: £2,483
- Total income: £2,483
Monthly Outgoings:
- Rent: £550 (including £25 towards arrears)
- Mortgage: £650.00 (payment plan to be arranged once I have decided what I am doing)
- Council Tax: £142.56
- Utilities (dual fuel): £150
- Water: £40
- TV Licence: £15
- Transport (fuel, HP, insurance, MOT, tax): £398 (need this for work)
- Food/Housekeeping: £300
- Communications (mobile + internet): £54
- Personal costs (clothing/haircuts): £36.67
- Health: £4.57
- Insurance: £15
Total outgoings: £2,426.68Surplus: £56.32
Debts
Priority Debts:
- Rent arrears: £2,500
- Mortgage arrears: £4,500Total priority: £7,000
Non‑Priority Debts (total £41,448 all defaulted):
Cabot (multiple accounts)
- Lowell (multiple accounts)
- PRA Group
- Intrum
- Perch Capital (multiple accounts)
- NewDay (Fluid)
- Fashion World
- EON Next (my current provider)
- Tandem Bank
- Zable
- Zilch
- 3 CCJs
My concerns
- I’m 36 and if I’m going to have a baby, it will likely be within the next few years.
- I’m worried an IVA will lock me into my current property for 6 years, plus the time needed to rebuild credit afterwards.
- I’m trying to balance long‑term stability with the practical reality of wanting to move home and start a family.
So yes, just looking for some opinions from people that know what they are talking about, i feel i am at a real crossroads and feel like and IVA feels scary but if its my only option, its my only option. I work for a local authority so no option for overtime.
Comments
-
Your credit file is going to be shredded anyway regardless of what you choose to do, so pay no attention to that.
Will your creditors agree an IVA for £56 a month?
I honestly don`t think that would be viable, see what others have to say.
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter0 -
Well it would need to be £100 apparently, which she said we can cut from food / phone bill payment will be much lower from next month as device will be paid off.
i think it was more about, do i? or do i so self managed DMP and just try and sell on vinted/marketplace and juts try and make lump sum payments/offers to settle? Just not sure where to turn, after losing both parents and no wehere to turn to for advcie0 -
£300 a month for all your food and household costs is barely doable let alone cutting further. What about gifts, emergencies, one off costs? This doesn’t look comprehensive
Also the HP car is a huge expense. Any chance of getting rid and getting a cheap runaround?
DFW info LBM: March 26
Total 03/26 69,481
"You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪
0 -
An IVA paying £100 a month sounds very unsafe, there is very little room to reduce it eg if energy, fool or petrol goes up.
Your mortgage, what is your current mortgage rate and when does your current mortgage fix end?you own a car or is it on finance?
0 -
If i did get rid of the car… what would you suggestdoing?
0 -
motgage rate ends in 2 years - 4.4%
0 -
I do not know. Just flagging that it’s a lot of money which I’m sure you know. You don’t have capacity here to save for an owned outright car though! Or will you own this car at the end of your agreement?
DFW info LBM: March 26
Total 03/26 69,481
"You put one foot in front of the other and one day you look back and see that you have climbed a mountain" Ready for the climb.💪
0 -
Difficult place to be but frankly, you can't be offering anything but token payments at the moment. Your credit record will repair after 6 years regardless. You need to sort out the priority debts urgently.
What exactly is the housing situation? One bed, studio, 2 bed? Leased flat or house?
My additional concern is that you could be liable for repair or maintenance costs without control over timing or price and have no emergency fund to cover?
With no work overtime, you are going to need a second job, maybe plus a side hustle? You need to clear those mortgage and rent arrears before you need a new fix in 2 years.
If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing0 -
I will own it outright, the finance is not in my name, so i have to pay it or i can get a company car, which is a salary sacrifice, so i think my tax code will go down to 471L i think. but obviously all i will have to do is put petrol in, everything else is covered by them…
1 -
Yes, thats my plan chuck everything i can, i have been looking into a remote customer service job to run along side my current role (which i WFH 3 days a week) but obviously that will eat 40% tax + extra student loan, so just weighing up the figures.
i am in a 2 bed flat 50% ownership 50% housing association, i have asked them if i can get a lodger and they said no, i am in negative equity as i bought in 2021 covid and then obv the leasehold reform, has caused major problems for flats and their re-sale value.
this is why on one hand the IVA seems like a good idea, however i realise the downsides are also mighty.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
