We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cheap Fixed Rate Ending - What Do I Do?

Hi,

My fixed rate mortgage doesn't end until 1 July 2027, but I keep seeing in the news that interest rates may rise 3 or 4 times before then. My current rate is 1.9% and available rates at the moment are 4.5%, which will be a big jump in my mortgage payment as it is. Am I better off fixing now and paying the penalty fee to exit early (around £2k) or waiting until January to arrange a new deal in the 6month window but gambling on the interest rates not rising? Thanks

Comments

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 22 September at 1:19PM

    I think you would be absolutely insane (putting it politely) to forfeit your current 1.9% rate early and paying a penalty fee for the privilege… all for the chance that the current available rate of 4.5% might (or might not) be lower than you might be offered in July 2027.

    I would ride your current rate until the last millisecond and have to be forced off it kicking and screaming.

    Most on this forum would sacrifice their firstborn for your current rate (unless this is ragebait, if so consider me tricked).

    Know what you don't
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,078 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament

    It is a tough decision.

    But I agree with Exodi. You will be paying a guaranteed 1%(?) plus around an extra 3% for the next 9-10 months in the hope of saving 1% pa IF rates do go up by 1%. If you are looking at a 5 year fix, it MIGHT make a tiny bit of sense but it is a big gamble and I think the odds are that you would be worse off doing that or at least not significantly better off.

    If you were to do a 2 year fix, then I think it makes even less sense.

    I paid the ERC on my mortgage back in 2022, it comes to an end in 12 months. I am glad I did it, I am not against paying ERCs. But my personal view is that I will be holding fire. This war must end sooner rather than later, it is affecting the whole world.

    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • StewedApple
    StewedApple Posts: 232 Forumite
    100 Posts Name Dropper

    Would it not be sensible to do the maths?

    10 months @ 1.95 - = current cost
    2 years @ new rate = YYY + penalty charge £2k + arrangement fee
    2 years @ new rate + 1% (allowing for further increases)

    I suspect staying with the current rate is still cheaper than either of the other scenarios.

    If conditions become more favourable toward the end of your fixed rate you could perhaps negotiate a new fixed rate before your current product ends.

  • Definitely not ragebait, I'm not great with this kind of thing and my family have been suggesting I switch early. My repayments would currently rise by around £300 if I fixed at the 4.5%, I think they think that it would be better to do that, than to wait until the middle of next year when rate MAY be up at 6%. Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it!

  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Hung up my suit! Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 22 September at 6:35PM

    I see, in which case this is simply (expensive) speculation.

    It's not as if mortgage rates are simply current BoE rate + lender margin, mortgage rates are influenced by market expectations and swap rates. If interest rates are expected to go up in the near future (which everyone is predicting), then that will have already been priced into current rates.

    What you are gambling on is rates increasing by more than markets are pricing in, or future events which are currently unknown to the market. Many feel current rates are already unsustainably high.

    I'm all for a bit of arbitrage, but it seems incredibly risky from a basis of a very low guaranteed rate with a fee to exit early based on little more than family gut-feelings. It also feels a tad reckless by your family as you mention you're 'not great with this kind of thing'. Despite there being little upside potential, being incorrect could well cost you thousands (unless they intend to indemnify you?)

    Know what you don't
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 3,720 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Extremely unlikely mortgage rates will go to 6% inside 6 months.

    Just hold as you are.

    Switching now and paying the ERC would be a very expensive mistake. Imo

  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 3,671 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Was going to contribute my tuppence worth of 'wisdom', but hardly seems worth the effort for an OP who has not bothered to log in since the 1st day of their post 5 days ago.

  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Start saving the difference between your current rate and potential future rate so you can get used to the difference when your 1.9% matures. Enjoy your low rate until the last moment and then use the money saved to take the edge off the increase.

    Sadly, no-one knows what will happen next summer.

  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 2,997 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Your life is too short to be unhappy 5 days a week in exchange for 2 days of freedom!

    One can always make more money. No one who has ever lived can create more time.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.