We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

XIRR

I have been using Excel XIRR to monitor performance of my various funds (10 at present) within a SIPP and elsewhere. Clearly it is only a historical view and that in itself is fraught with caveats, but my admittedly simplistic thinking is to sell the worst performing fund over (say) a year and invest the proceeds in the best performing - with the XIRR rate over the year being the only factor. Repeat for the following years. I'd also like to rationalize my funds - many are similar low cost passive global-ish trackers.

Thoughts welcome

«13

Comments

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    ut my admittedly simplistic thinking is to sell the worst performing fund over (say) a year and invest the proceeds in the best performing 

    Why would you do that?

    Investing based on past performance typically yields lower returns over the long run. In a typical portfolio, that would mean allocating more to Asia as it’s been the standout performer over the last year. One of the defensive funds has probably been your worst performer. You would significantly increase the risk by doing that.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,691 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I distinctly recall some professional investment managers saying they did the precise opposite of what you propose - ie they would sell (or top slice) the best performing asset and reinvest the proceeds in the worst performing asset. It is called rebalancing.

    It stuck in my mind because I thought it was a strange thing to do.

  • Bostonerimus1
    Bostonerimus1 Posts: 2,251 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    This is momentum investing, but it also requires selling low and buying high which can be a bad choice. The success or failure will depend on the first derivative of the funds' prices. It's not something I would ever try to do. Instead I would rebalance asset classes ie equities, bonds, cash at certain predefined guard rails or just once or twice a year as necessary, or don't do anything which has been a successful strategy over that past few decades.

    And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
  • phlebas192
    phlebas192 Posts: 305 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    I'm more of a reversion to mean type of guy, so in the scenario you describe I would be more likely to sell some of the top performer and recycle it into the lowest performing one. There's nothing in the data to suggest that a random fund manager or approach will beat others on a consistent basis which is what your idea would rely on. But if you do believe that then presumably you would want to sell all of the lowest performing fund each year and by the tenth year you would only be holding a single fund - which would be the one that wasn't the worst performer in any previous year and happened to be the better one in year 9 (a 50/50 outcome with the other fund that happened not to be the worst performer in the previous 9 years). So why not now sell everything else and put it all in the best performer over the past year? If the idea works then why wait 10 years until you reach fulfilment?

    The reality is that the market is not simple and simple ideas generally do not improve results. Not least because if anyone could implement the idea then they would already do so and the advantage would be priced out for subsequent investors (large firms employ very clever people specifically to find such advantages). It's not impossible to beat the market, even over many years, but it is almost certainly going to be as a result of taking on extra risk and / or coming up with something not easily back-tested.

  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 2,168 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

    It's the kind of strategy that would have lead you to sell all your equities after the GFC, locking in your losses, and buy bonds despite their negative yields. You would then have taken another huge loss when bond prices fell.

  • leosayer
    leosayer Posts: 921 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Why do you need to hold more than one global equity tracker?

    The standard approach is to decide on your asset allocation (eg. 5 funds at 20% each) at the start and then rebalance back to 20% either once a year/quarter or when they drift too far out from the target %.

    This way you buy more of your losers and sell your winners.

    However if you just hold one global equity index fund then that reallocation is done automatically within the fund.

  • Veloflyer
    Veloflyer Posts: 322 Forumite
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Many thanks - Many of my funds have significant overlap and I'd like to rationalize. I can understand the arguments against doing what I propose were they single equities or funds/ETFs of a different make-up, but essentially 3 or 4 of my funds are essentially global trackers. I'd just like to have the one global tracker and have at least some sort of methodology in deciding which of the other 3 I should sell.

  • barnstar2077
    barnstar2077 Posts: 1,743 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I would pick the most diverse of the global trackers, which also has one of the lowest charges, and put everything in it today.

    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Global trackers are not all one thing. There are different benchmarks that they track. So, you need to take that into account as in some years, one benchmark will do better than another.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Veloflyer
    Veloflyer Posts: 322 Forumite
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I would pick the most diverse of the global trackers, which also has one of the lowest charges, and put everything in it today

    Makes sense - cheers

    Global trackers are not all one thing. There are different benchmarks that they track. So, you need to take that into account as in some years, one benchmark will do better than another.

    I shall read up. Bit of crystal balling perhaps as I dont know which benchmark is/will do best.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.