We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Re registering for Self Assessment

ro1892
ro1892 Posts: 93
Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite

I am a PAYE employee (not self employed) and have a UTR number from doing a self assessment a few years back (2023-24) but did not need to do one for the tax year 2024-25. I now need to do one for 2025-26 so I have followed the steps here https://www.gov.uk/register-for-self-assessment and after completing the form I signed into my tax account and completed the on screen form (I believe this was an SA1).

I did this about a week ago but I have had no confirmation of submitting the form and nothing yet to say the 2025-26 Self Assessment is available for me to do, so just wondering if anyone knows how long it normally takes from re-registering to being able to complete the self assessment?

Comments

  • LITRG
    LITRG Posts: 218
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Organisation Representative
    edited 23 September at 9:09AM

    Hello, you may be able to check rough SA1 processing times using HMRC's tracking tool: https://www.litrg.org.uk/tax-nic/getting-help-hub/contacting-hmrc-chasing-progress Hope this helps, thanks.

    “Official Company Representative
    I am an official representative of LITRG (Low Incomes Tax Reform Group) part of the Chartered Institute of Taxation who are an educational charity. We are not part of MSE or HMRC. MSE has given permission for me to post on the Forum but this does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation or its products by MSE. We can’t give individual advice, but if you require further help, we recommend that you contact a tax adviser, HMRC or one of the tax charities where relevant. You can find more information about where to get help with tax here. If you believe I am posting inappropriately please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • ro1892
    ro1892 Posts: 93
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Got a reply today to say I've registered and can fill it out.

    In terms of timescales, the service dashboard says "normal service (15 working days)". The "when can I expect a reply" tool says "18 working days, still processing from 28th August" however I submitted mine 2 weeks after 28th August and received a reply in 13 working days so not sure how accurate all this is

    Would be nice if they would just email after you submit to at least acknowledge they have it.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.