We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Starting out - any advice would be helpful…

Hello, I am new to this and would really appreciate any advice.

I am currently in £7000 worth of debt, this has accumulated over the last few years following a relationship breakdown and going back to university to study.

I have 2 sons (10 and 13), I have recently finished my degree and have been able to secure a job with a £45,000 per year salary.

I am a single parent. I don’t receive any benefits other than child benefit.

I am trying to sort out my finances however I am really struggling.

I have a very low, poor credit score and therefore I can’t balance transfer or get a loan, I have tried and looked into this.

My debt is made up of 1 high interest loan and then 4 high interest credit cards.

I am paying just short of £700 per month towards my debt, but not really making much progress.

  1. Due to the interest
  2. Due to using the credit cards again

I really try and not use the credit cards and have cut them up, however with no savings I have needed to use these in emergency situations.

I don’t have any family that would be able to help me out with this.

I have looked at DMP, but I have avoided this so far as I was hopefully wanting to build my credit score for the future. I feel that I could pay this off and start to repair my credit within the 6 years.

I stick to my monthly budget, and don’t spend excessively.

I think in my mind I would ideally like to get a debt consolidation loan, that would reduced my monthly payment and allow me a couple of years to pay this off. With an end date. But due to my credit score I cannot get one.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Comments

  • MasterG83
    MasterG83 Posts: 813 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Hi, congratulations on your new job, this sounds very positive.

    In the pinned posts at the start of this forum you will see an SOA, Statement of Affairs, complete this and then the advice will be relevant by some very experienced people.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. Please complete an SOA if you are looking for debt advice. Link here - https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Baby Step 6/7 . £20000 + saved and invested. £47,000 deposit paid on new home CONSUMER DEBT FREE !!!
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,011 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Your credit score is a US fiction sold by credit reference agencies. What matters is your credit record.

    You might want to pull all three of your credit records in case there is something unfortunate or missing there. Details of how to do this for free using the Credit Club are on the Cards and Loans section of MSE.

    Too many moves, not keeping electoral rolls up to date and multiple credit applications will affect your credit records. As will late and missing payments.

    Meantime a copy of your Statement of Affairs (budget) might provide some help. And some indication of your situation, as in London, renting or Northern, mortgage would be helpful.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    You haven`t told us much about your personal circumstances, but in general, 7k of debt on a 45k salary would appear on paper to be doable.

    However, I`m guessing you`re just starting this job, so it might be prudent to forget about credit scores and further borrowing, stop paying these silly rates of interest, let the debts default, save up the 7k over time and part settle with whoever owns the debts at that time.

    This way it frees up £700 of disposable income a month instantly for you, problem solved, debt collection is a very lengthy process that will see months of letters and calls, but little else will happen.

    Its a much more sensible choice than to go looking for the bank to bail you out, your credit file will heal with time regardless.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.