We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Online self assessment stuck for months
Hello,
I submitted my self assessment online via FreeAgent a few months ago but it’s not been processed by HMRC. I’ve spoken to a few agents and they tell me that it needs to be manually captured as there was an issue with some of the data that came across (although they cannot see which data is causing the problems).
Every time I’ve spoken to them, they refer it to another team to be manually captured but it doesn’t go anywhere and the agents tell me they don’t receive any feedback.
I asked if I can simply have it recalled and then submit again directly through HMRC but apparently this isn’t an option.
I’m aware that I have a few months until the deadline but based on how long this has taken so far without any sign of resolution I’m worried that January will come and I’ll be hit with automatic fines that I’ll then have to deal with.
Has anybody experienced anything similar? Is the next step a formal complaint?
Thanks
Comments
-
If you log on to your personal tax account and look at the self assessment bit what is it showing (eg does it show the tax return has been submitted or that it is still outstanding)? Or are you unable to do that because you are using an agent?
0 -
It shows the “received on” date but the submission date is empty.
0 -
As long as it has been received you will not get a penalty for non receipt.
However , it is important that any tax / Nic due is paid by 31 January.
Do you know what liability was brought out in what was submitted.0 -
Yes, I have an exact figure that was calculated in FreeAgent. So I can pay that in advance even though my balance in HMRC account is currently zero?
0 -
That is interesting. When I look the submission date and received date are the same. But then I submitted it myself.
Yes, I have an exact figure that was calculated in FreeAgent. So I can pay that in advance even though my balance in HMRC account is currently zero?
You can pay the tax as long as you use your self assessment reference number to identify the payment. It is a 10 digit number with K at the end. If the tax is not due until the end of January I would not pay it until January which gives some time for whatever the issue is to be resolved.
You say you have a figure for the tax but does that include any payments on account which may be due?
0 -
Actually, my 24/25 submission has a blank submission date too. So I guess this is normal when sent via third party software.
There shouldn't be any forward payment on account as more than 80% was taken through PAYE although that will change next year, so I think it should just be the balancing payment, which makes it cleaner. I'll take your advice and leave it until January if it's still not resolved.
I think raising a formal complaint with HMRC is probably best - I'll give it another couple of weeks. Their teams do seem a little disjointed - I can't understand why they cannot directly contact this other team and figure out exactly which figure is causing the issue.
In future I'll stick to submitting through the HRMC website, rather than third party software.0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards