We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Helping daughter's budget at Xmas
They are hard up and have suggested no present exchange for this year. So I am wondering if I can think if a way of helping out with something like a regular shopping support for a few months or petrol. You get the idea. Not keen on just money gift as can get lost in the whirl of casual shopping. Don't want them to feel embarrassed.
Comments
-
Why don't you ask her what would help take the pressure off
0 -
I wonder if they would find it intrusive if you asked to help with budgeting. Best to ask casually, if they have seen surveys, cash back anything helpful they might not have thought about.
0 -
Hello.
What a most kind thing.
I would say just helping with eveyday things will go a long way.
Don't get me wrong my mum and dad were always skint at Christmastime but I have great memories about the presents, they were out catalogues like the Webb Ivory or one year she got a Boots charge card so we got BMX bikes out Halfords. Halfords would actually build them then so it saved my dad.
I think my point is, your daughter will love what you give, cause you are her mum.
0 -
You should ask your daughter.
Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.phpFor free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.0 -
Sounds like she already has made a good decision instead of getting herself into what is maybe more debt. Ask, thats the only way to do it, it maybe they have a plan that is working well.
"You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "1 -
+1 to these posts.
Your daughter will know what would help them best.
Well done to them for putting a stop to ridiculous present swapping.
Maybe point them to the Debt Free Wannabe board for adice on cutting their outgoings.
You don't have to be in debt to post.
1 -
We just send each of our children a small lump sum in early December to "help out as Christmas is expensive".
0 -
Do you go shopping together?
Becomes a easy way to simply say "I will pay for that"
Life in the slow lane0 -
I have recently started helping out more. My children appreciate it and do not ever take advantage. I let them shop for what ever they need when they visit about 4 times a year. I think its the right thing to do as times are hard at the moment and they need help now its the right thing to do. At xmas and birthdays they know they have £200 to do what they want with and I always say to them I have bought my own gift from you normally just face cream or something. I really dont want anything bought for me as have all I want. There seems to be such a gap between generations now on wealth and know if roles reversed they would do the same for me.
21k savings no debt2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards


