We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Support Worker - Mileage tax relief
Hi, just after some advice please as I've never claimed anything back tax relief wise.
As a support worker I use my own car to transport clients to appointments and receive 45p a mile from my employer.
Also, would I be able to claim anything back for needing to have business car insurance?
I was just wondering if anyone else has claimed similar and have any advice to offer?
I get that I get tax relief on the difference from the 45p from my employer and the 55p approved rate from HMRC, not the actual difference amount.
Thank you!
Comments
-
The mileage allowance relief is to cover all running costs.
Business insurance doesn’t usually cost much more, if anything.
1 -
I think when I was a support worker, the extra cost of the business cover was about a tenner.
The mileage would be this form if you’re not needing to do a full self assessment. You need the full mileage logs.All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.
Pedant alert - it's could have not could of.1 -
Just to say, when I added Business mileage to my car insurance, the cost came down.
Decluttering awards 2025: 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️, DH: 🏅🏅⭐️, DD1: 🏅 and one for Mum: 🏅1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
