We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bookthrone competitions

Some people have posted bookthrone competitions in the past, and they required signing up to their mailing list to enter. Since then, they won't stop sending junk email, despite requesting them to stop.

I know I'm not the only one who has had the issue, I randomly found some people talking about it here: https://www.facebook.com/PelicanFreak/posts/no-matter-how-many-times-i-unsub-from-bookthrone-i-still-seem-to-get-their-email/10167680734545702/

Hopefully someone can report it as a scam and get that site to stop.

«1

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,517
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    In what way are they trying to scam you/others?

    You've signed up to their mailing list, they send you mail.

    If it bothers you then set up a rule on your email account to send their mail directly to Trash, you'll never see it again.

  • I signed up to enter a competition that was posted:

    I entered once. Since then, they keep sending individual newsletter messages from countless different "authors", which is most likely AI generated. They will keep doing this indefinitely. There is no end to it. Usually you'll get one or two emails in a newsletter from signing up to something, with this it won't stop, and they ignore everyone's request to have it stopped. I have contacted my email provider to help prevent them from being received. I mean, if you don't think it's that bad, why not sign up for their emails….?

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,517
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Annoying? Yes. But in what way is this a scam? Are they trying to deceive you into parting with your money? Is their action in some way fraudulent? Have you paid for something and not received it?

    Are these problematic emails all being received from the same domain name? Why can you not simply filter them out?

  • Why are you going out of your way gaslighting me? I mean, It's not just me that has the issue, if you read that facebook post you'd learn that it has been happening to people for years. Every time I click unsubscribe from an individual email, more get generated and it's never ending. If it isn't a problem, then you'd sign up to it, but you won't because it is fraud. They claim "you can win money" from entering their competitions. Is there any evidence anywhere of anyone winning anything? They dupe people into entering (I mean, I saw it posted on this very forum), I thought it would have been vetted and would be legit, but no, it wasn't. I would never have entered if I saw that it wasn't, but I trusted the forum. And surely it isn't okay for a company to send spam to people who have asked to opt out. Any legitimate company plays by the rules, the ones that don't are fraudulent. There's a reason you can unsubscribe without fuss from decent businesses…….

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,517
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Gaslighting, really?

    You have a problem with unwanted email, I've suggested a possible solution.

    Any other problems you have with signing up for non-existent prizes is entirely down to whatever due diligence you choose to do before signing up to anything.

  • AC55
    AC55 Posts: 6,095
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Could you possibly reach out to them directly and ask to be removed from all future mailing subscriptions, including from their associated authors?

    At least then you have your request in writing.

  • unluckymember
    unluckymember Posts: 15
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 19 September at 12:47PM

    I did multiple times. On their website there is a form to fill in, and I sent the messages. Their site says "copyright 2019 bookthrone" if you look at the bottom of their page. The other email contact addresses that are listed on their site don't exist any more and messages get refused from sending. On their main contact form, messages have been sent but it seems that nobody is there.

    I also found their facbook official page, and there is a different email address listed there, which I asked for them to unsubscribe me from emails, which again I get ignored. That's why I'm complaining about it!!! It's been going on for months.

    https://www.facebook.com/BookThroneReads/

  • BootsMullery
    BootsMullery Posts: 3,451
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    When you enter competitions for Book Throne, they make it clear that you are opting in to their Newsletters AND Newsletters from ALL of their sponsoring authors. If you the want to unsubscribe, you have to unsubscribe to each and every one of the authors who are sending you their newsletters. Unsubscribing to Book Throne on it's own will not stop any from the authors.

    I have been in this position but did, eventually, stop all newsletters.

    Bob
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 4,410
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    this is why I have a separate email for competitions only. Hundreds of spam emails a day, I simply scan through them looking for winning emails then delete them. By entering competitions you agree to newsletters/spam. Often if you unsubscribe you also won't win the competition.

    2026 wins - Parker Pen American Sweets bundle 2x dish magic bundle NEU shots & a NEU training T-shirt ToeZone Shoes Worth £32

  • Yeah, I have unsubscribed from every individual email, but new ones keep being sent. It's like it's automated or something. I've entered all sorts of competitions and don't have this sort of issue. The only time I've ever had a problem was with sheerluxe, when their unsubscribe button didn't work, I emailed them and asked them if they could fix it, and they did, because they actually have decent customer service and are a legitimate company. I've been entering competitions from here for many years, and only signed up here to let people know about this bookthrone company, so that others don't get trapped by their emails. I mean, they don't respond to any emails…..what company does that?

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.