We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

CCJ - no contact, help to set aside or do I just accept it?

Hopefully this is in the correct board.

I checked my credit report and a new CCJ has been added from August 2026. I have no knowledge of who this is for, though I have a vague idea based on the amount. I am on hold to the NCBC to find out which company this is owed to - number 37 in the queue.

All paperwork must've been sent to my old address, we moved in December and notified all creditors I had moved and gave them all my new address.

I was working with Stepchange on a token payment plan (£1 per creditor) but my time on that ran out so a few months ago I went self-managed and have maintained my payments (£3 per creditor). I spoke to all creditors and explained the situation and arranged payment plans.

I haven't been emailed or written to at my current address regarding the court action. Had I been advised they weren't happy with the current plan or that they were going to apply for an order I may have been able to borrow the money or arrange a much larger payment plan. I haven't had the chance to do any of these.

I think I can probably apply to have it set aside but I really don't have the money for the fee. I know I owe this money, so do I just accept the CCJ? My credit is not likely to have recovered in the next 6 years anyway. But I was paying what I could afford and doing the same as Stepchange in keeping all payments equal between creditors. Before this happened I've been considering bankruptcy as an option but am worried it will affect my job (HCPC registered allied health professional).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,596 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Are you a member of a professional body you can ask if bankruptcy is a problem?

  • Hi @ManyWays I emailed them months ago to ask, I never received a response so have chased them up today.

    Further information: I have collected post from my old address and the money is owed to Utilita. There are no other letters from them chasing the debt or advance notice of the court proceedings but I don't know if that's typical. The date on it was 7th July 2026.

  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier

    I think it would be useful to see the whole picture. If possible could you complete and post one of these

    https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.