We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.Old Style Daily Friday 18 September 2026
Morning all. I'm about to leave to drive down to Glasgow for an overnight stay. My car is having a service then I'm seeing a show tonight.
I hope that everyone has a good / better day, especially the poorlies. Xx
Comments
-
Morning All
Thanks for the start Gers, have a safe journey and enjoy the show.
Dark, damp and dismal out this morning, the bedding is in the WM, will put it on the rack before I go to work.
Nothing much happening here but I did catch up with the Sewing Bee, really enjoyed this series.
Hope the poorlies are feeling better. Take care. XX
9 -
Good morning, thanks Gers. hope your journey is uneventful and your enjoy the show.
It's damp and dismal here too, not dark but a bit gloomy.
I'm meeting a friend at Do*bies this morning, we meet every couple of months.
Hope your DD is feeling fairly ok today TA
Dp1, did you consider looking on the financial section of this site for advice about the money, there's a lot of information.
Are you still thinking about what to do about your implants Ruby, it'll be a difficult decision. Hope your Mum is feeling better.
Thoughts to the poorly people, hope everyone has as good a day as they can.
10 -
Morning all
Yesterday was a good day until about 3pm. I’d got loads done, some slab lifting and re-laying, been a nice walk with Bdog, and just finished sanding some wood. Then managed to miss a step or my footing and fell - heard my ankle crack! Fortunately DF heard me shout and I managed to hobble indoors - never felt pain like it. Upshot is a very swollen ankle but miraculously moving and able to bear some weight and not really much pain now. I have had it elevated and putting ice on every couple of hours last night. Woken up this morning with a sore knee (opposite leg!) and shoulders presumably from how I fell, thankfully on grass. All I could think was ‘I can’t afford to be immobile and unable to do stuff’. I’ll see how it is when it’s loosened up from overnight before I decide whether it needs to be looked at - our local hospital only has minor injuries though they do have X-ray.
So there’s not going to be much activity going on for a few days - good job DM has no planned hospital visits. DF will do the shopping (though we’ll likely finish up with all sorts that aren’t on the list 😂) that I had planned. I have lots of sewing I can do though whether or not I can ‘drive’ the sewing machine pedal with my left foot remains to be seen 🤔.
Hope everyone has a good end of the week. Thoughts with all those with poorly relatives and friends.AA
10 -
Morning all and thanks for the start @Gers x Safe journey and enjoy the show later.
Sorry for the disappearing act. Nowt much to say but I’ve been reading along every day.
My thoughts are with all those with health issues or looking after poorly loved ones. Not an easy decision for you @RedRuby1231. Hope DGD is coping okay with her casts @dp1. All good wishes to your DD @TravellingAbuela. Rest up @Chrisca50 and @AlwaysAllie and see you soon @WickedLady4 xx Sorry if I missed anyone xxHope your DS is doing okay @YorksLass did you decide on C dinner out? X
My DDad is here for 8 weeks so as I’m not currently working (have had nothing since July) I’m principal care assistant. It’s quite exhausting at times and I’ve only just done week one! Our bedroom is still being decorated plus we have a part-installed greenhouse - just needs glass which is pretty important! DH is switching between the two depending on the weather.
I’ve been volunteering on Monday afternoons at a charity shop. The team are lovely and we get regular customers. I was dropped off/picked up this week as parking is £8 for the afternoon which is a bit steep.
Little kitten is very sweet - very leggy now and climbing EVERYWHERE. She’s due her second jab in October then once she’s 2kg she can be spayed/go outside. Only 1.6kg currently awwww 🐈⬛Sorry for the essay. Have a good day everyone.
CoxyCross-stitch WIP: Haberdashery Shop Fiver Friday challenge 2026 founding member 😊 Read 26 books in 2026 18/26 Currently
reading The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (19)9 -
morning everyone safe journey Gers and enjoy the show TA I hope your DD is feeling comfortable this morning and results are through soon Ruby what a decision you have a lot to think about. It’s my volunteering day today it’s dry so it will be alright unloading the food van this morning and I will be in the charity shop when the rain starts this afternoon. I have taken a pasta meal out of the freezer for hubby tonight it’s been lurking to long I’m having fish and veg . Allie your ankle sounds painful rest up . Thinking of all the poorlies hugs to those that need them have a good day everyone whatever you are doing
8 -
Good Morning,
Gers, enjoy the trip and show. Ouch, AA, that sounds so painful, I hope you are able to rest it.
It is going to be a quiet day here, hubby is off to watch the golf, so I will treat myself to a lazy day, pottering about.
Tea will be the bacon pasta bake as I was too tired to do yesterday.Take care all.
7 -
Morning everyone
Always Allie I hope your ankle is a bit better this morning
TA best wishes to your daughter too.
My dad was taken to hospital yesterday morning, problems with his catheter. He left the care home at 10am, 60 miles to the hospital and was brought back at 4am! I rang at teatime, the care home had expected him to be back by then, he was in the discharge ward and I could hear him shouting as soon as they answered the phone. The nurse asked does he always shout so much…I said well he has got dementia, if he's shouting he must have no idea where he is and must be scared. So the nurse phoned me back on his mobile and then gave it to dad, it took me about 45 minutes to calm him down, he had no clue where he was, thought he'd been locked up somewhere and had to escape, and had been in the hospital overnight. Oh and someone had told him to get off the bed and sit on a chair…I said he can't walk…oh he said he couldn't!
I told him to close his eyes and try to rest…he had listened as when I rang a couple of hours later he was asleep. Then the care home rang just after 4am to say he was back and settled. I'll go down before work this morning, mam had been understandably upset, but they'd kept her busy.
Right best get on, I have both children tonight, so probably won't get on tomorrow, so I hope everyone has a good weekend x
Scarlet …thanks I'll have a look x
6 -
Morning all
Quick one from me as I’ve got to go to mums to prep her breakfast, we had a long day yesterday with phone calls to the GP - long story but basically the GP refused to come out and see mum who is still very poorly the GP said well she is on end of life care so not a lot we can do 😳 complaint going in today!
Take care everyone xxx
10 -
Morning all, thanks @Gers for the start and also for not giving away any spoilers for the winner of the GBSB - I haven't yet got round to watching all of it! Safe drive today, hope you enjoy the show.
My goodness, so many on here being put through the wringer with worries over elderly parents' health, not to mention their own and other mishaps (I'm looking at you @AlwaysAllie - rest that ankle). As for the insensitive comment by your mum's GP @RedRuby1231 I'm lost for words. Even if I don't mention you all by name, I'm sending lots of ((hugs)).
@Coxy11 - I'm all for going out for a C-dinner and DS is still looking for somewhere but it may well end up being a post-C event since all the venues he's tried have been booked up for months in advance. Possibly post-NY too but that's OK as it would be something to look forward to during the dismal winter months.
It's overcast today, rain likely after midday and temperatures once again around 15 deg. More or less a repeat of yesterday - but with less sun. 😐️
I got one pair of winter living room curtains hung yesterday (the big window with patio door) but broke off to clean the two garden chairs that are now stored away - I can't see them being used again this year. I'll do the smaller window this afternoon after I've done the Friday admin. Last night's TV highlight was All Creatures Great & Small - good to see that back on our screens again. Tea tonight is battered haddock (from the freezer, of course) and, by way of change from oven chips, I'll make potato drop scones since there's leftover mash to use up.
Have a good day everyone, take care and fingers crossed for a good weekend to come. xx
Be kind to others and to yourself too.8
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards