We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Crystallisation on ii

245

Comments

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,633 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You could ask around a few of the mainstream SIPP providers, like Aj Bell, Fidelity, HL and maybe Vanguard.

  • MoneyGeoff
    MoneyGeoff Posts: 287 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yes I’ll try those thanks. It’s a shame ii couldn’t answer my questions because their step by step guide is by far the best. All the others are a bit sketchy as to what the actual steps are and whether manual steps are required.

  • WitsEnd101
    WitsEnd101 Posts: 88 Forumite
    10 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I have only done UFPLS with ii but found it OK to implement. For the first UFPLS I even had one of the CS staff walk me through the whole online process. Recommended.

  • MoneyGeoff
    MoneyGeoff Posts: 287 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    OK Thanks. I’ve sent them my question by email as well to see if I get a better answer than the guy on the phone.

  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,613 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Don’t bother with HL. Having experience of both HL and ii, HL still rely on manual processes but ii is all online and was quite fast. Be aware the end of the tax year is a very busy time for all SIPP providers so the process may take longer than normal.

  • MoneyGeoff
    MoneyGeoff Posts: 287 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Yes, I’ve had bad experience with HL myself so I already eliminated them. Agree it’s going to be a nightmare time because of the pension age change and like you say end of tax year too. Definitely want a fully digital platform, AJ Bell and ii are the frontrunners.

  • You might ask Lloyds (previously marketed as Halifax SIPP and running on the SW/Embark platform) too.

    I've seen its online platform and it seems pretty good.

  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 5,883 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    II probably wouldn't commit to a timescale because of you wanting it a week before the change. They may anticipate a lot of requests from that, along with a normal bump due to the end of the financial year.

    I can confirm that at other times the process is pretty smooth.

    You will be asked if you have spoken to Pensionwise, which isn't obligatory. However if you might want to, I believe they have a bit of a delay with appointments.

  • MoneyGeoff
    MoneyGeoff Posts: 287 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 18 September at 10:01AM

    I didn’t ask them to commit to a timescale. I just need to know if I’ll be able login in on my birthday and follow their step by step guide. As long as a “benefit crystallisation event” is recorded there is no time pressure on them. It doesn’t matter if the TFLS lands after the 5th April.

    I worked in Finance IT my whole career. Someone in ii must know how it works. Is the functionality enabled automatically at midnight on the users 55th birthday? Does it depend on a batch job that might fail? Is it a manual process that could go wrong if they are busy? Someone had to have programmed it and documented how it works.


    A previous reply said they were able to crystallise themselves on their 55th birthday which suggests the functionality automatically becomes available. I was hoping ii would confirm that before I transfer funds to them.

  • SVaz
    SVaz Posts: 904 Forumite
    500 Posts Third Anniversary

    HL is all online, you tick some boxes, say how much you want to crystallise and it takes around 10 working days. My Wife does it every year with her previous year’s contributions.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.