We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Tax repayment claimed back by HMRC

In ‘24 I completed a self assessment for 23/24 which included PAYE pay and pension as I retired in Nov ‘23. (No other taxable income).

The calculation was in my favour and a repayment of £250 was credited, which I took as a cheque and I informed HMRC that I didn’t need to complete self assessment for the following year.

I have now received a note to say that they will be recovering the self assessment credit of £250 as I didn’t amend the 23/24 tax return to include this amount.

Is this correct? Why would I need to amend the return when the calculation is in my favour?


Thanks

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    That doesn't make sense - the SA process generates a calculated liability for the year in question, and then settlement (in either direction) follows thereafter, but that doesn't entail any adjustment of the return, as this will still accurately convey the taxable income, etc. Are you able to share any (suitably redacted) photos of the relevant paperwork?

  • heronbommie
    heronbommie Posts: 41
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Thankyou, I thought it was strange.

    I rang HMRC and the guy I spoke to didn’t understand it either but didn’t give any advice apart from to wait a couple of weeks to see if the account shows a payment required as it’s neutral at the moment.

    I’ll copy the letter as follows…

    Notice to Pay due to repayment not declared in Self Assessment Return

    Thankyou for your voluntary online return for 23-24 received online June 2024.

    On 30 July 2024 a PAYE repayment of tax for £250.33 was issued to you by us.

    As you haven’t amended your 23-24 tax return to include the 23-24 PAYE repayment we need to recover this amount from your Self-Assessment credits of £250.

    That’s it really. Confused!

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,074
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Yes, that is baffling - if your 2023/24 return is an accurate and complete record of your 2023/24 income and tax paid, then I fail to understand either why or how you'd retrospectively go back and adjust that! I'm also confused about why they'd take two years to action this, is the letter definitely genuine?

  • heronbommie
    heronbommie Posts: 41
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    There’s an apology for a late reply at the start and yes I’m sure it’s genuine the details and figures are correct.

    If an amount to pay or my tax code alters I’ll chase it further.

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,501
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It reads to me that you received 2 repayments - one outwith Self Assessment via the PAYE system (the 30 July refund) and the second via what appears to be an unsolicited Self Assessment return (the word voluntary being used). Why did you submit a Self Assessment return when there appears no need to have done and when was this repayment made?

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,322
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I agree. That indicates you received a repayment through PAYE .

    Did you claim a repayment when you retired?

    For some reason you completed a self assessment return for 23/24 but did not include that repayment you had received through PAYE.

  • heronbommie
    heronbommie Posts: 41
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    There was only one repayment from the self assessment credit, the wording as PAYE I think refers to my method of tax payment with wage and pension. My pension didn’t change during this period or since.

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,322
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Ask HMRC when the PAYE repayment was made as they think there was an in year repayment made.

  • Isthisforreal99
    Isthisforreal99 Posts: 1,501
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 September at 6:58PM

    They wouldn't have called it a PAYE repayment if it came from your Self Assessment return.

    Go onto your personal tax account and see if a separate P800 calculation was issued for that year.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.