We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Debt Advice

2»

Comments

  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,593 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I suggest you offer all your debts a token £1 a month and save up the absurdly high £680 fee for bankruptcy. In bankruptcy you will not have to make any monthly payments as your only income is from benefits.

    This will all be over sooner than a DMP and then later a switch to a DRO.

  • Thank you, everyone, for all your advice. It was really helpful to have a couple of options to think about overnight.

    I think, going forward, the best option for me personally is to let everything default and then go onto a DMP until my Transitional Protection has fully eroded, and then potentially move onto a DRO in the future if I’m eligible.

    I did consider bankruptcy, but I don’t owe anything to my bank and have always been in good standing with them, so I would prefer not to risk having my FlexAccount frozen, as this is the account my essential direct debits are paid from. I also have a FlexBasic account where my benefits are paid into. I need both accounts as it helps me keep my spending money separate from the money set aside for bills, so I don’t get confused about what I have available to spend.

    The only other question I have is whether the companies I owe money to generally accept DMPs. These are:

    • Tesco – loan and credit card
    • Zopa – loan and credit card
    • Plata – loan
    • Aqua – credit card

    Thank you once again for all your help and advice. It’s been really appreciated.

  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,012 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It's not really a matter of whether your creditor accept DMPs. They price in defaults and will just accept what you can pay them. You decide how much and set up the Standing Order. End of.

    Whilst you wait for defaults, you need to save everything that you can into an emergency fund. So maybe an instant ISA or another better paying instant access saving account.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,593 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    freezing an account in bankruptcy is just a temporary measure, just a few days.
    Nationwide may close the Flex account in bankruptcy, but in that case it will probably also close it in a DRO.

  • Would I be able to open a second FlexBasic Account specifically for my direct debits?

    Having just one account unfortunately isn’t an option for me, as I really struggle to manage my bills. This is why a family member helped me set up two accounts. When my Universal Credit and other payments are paid into my main account, I have a standing order set up to automatically transfer the money for my bills into the second account, ensuring that I don’t miss any payments.

    They’re coming over tomorrow to help me cancel my direct debits and contact my bank to cancel a continuous payment authority that was set up by Plata.

  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,593 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I have not seen anyone try this; you could ask Nationwide.

    Alternatively you can open another basic bank account with a bank you do not owe any money to for a second account. This is possible immediately after bankruptcy.

    Also tell Plata you cannot afford to pay this and will be making a token payment. (The issue often discussed here of getting defaults first to reduce the long term effect on your credit record is irrelevant if you intend to either go bankrupt or later get a DRO.)

  • Thank you for the advice. I’ll ask Nationwide tomorrow, and worst-case scenario, I know The Co-operative Bank will allow me to open a basic account if need be. They’re not part of any banking group that I owe money to, so at least I have that option if Nationwide isn’t able to help.

  • Thank you for the advice. I’ve just finished opening an ISA with Nationwide. I’ve put £10 into it for now, but I’m hoping to build it up into a decent emergency fund over the next three to six months, circumstances permitting.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.