We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Closing business, how to enter on tax return

Background…I'm employed and work for a company, own a rental and alongside this myself and a friend setup a company several years ago which we were both setup as directors. Fast forward this company made a bit of money which went into the company account we never took a wage from it.

We now have closed down the company in 2025 and took the money out the company account, 10k each.

I'm now doing my tax return, how will this get entered given I owned it and was a director but never took a salary. I never entered anything on any previous tax returns for it, as this was the case, there was no income. Now there is an amount paid to us.

We are claiming Business Asset Disposal on the amount as the company got closed and I am selecting the 'Capital Gains' section of the form to fill in.

Do I just fill in my take return as normal as I have been doing for my rental and employment and then just complete the Capital gain section for this money I got from the closure of the company.

Comments

  • Or ask your accountant. What makes you think the money you are taking out falls under Caputal Gains?

  • curtis122
    curtis122 Posts: 235
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    We don't have the accountant anymore once we closed the business. It falls under capital gains, as its a gain from a business that was closed, after paying the accountant and closing, this is what we have left as profit.

  • curtis122
    curtis122 Posts: 235
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    Is there any explanation to this?

  • curtis122
    curtis122 Posts: 235
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 September at 12:09PM

    If you have LESS than £25,000 leftIf the total amount left in your business account is £25,000 or less, you can use the much cheaper Voluntary Strike-Off (Dissolution)

    • The Process: You simply withdraw the funds directly to your personal account as a final capital distribution, pay off any outstanding company bills, and then submit a DS01 form to Companies House.
    • The Tax Reality: HMRC automatically allows closures under £25,000 to be treated as capital distributions. You will report this on your Self Assessment tax return and claim your 18% BADR rate without needing a liquidator.

    Just found this and this is exactly what happened so how am I wrong? Please explain?

    @Isthisforreal99 I see you have deleted your post, so I take it 'you were wrong'!

  • sherlock228
    sherlock228 Posts: 182
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 September at 12:12PM

    is the correct answer for the two 10k amounts.
    Has the company bank now literally got £0 balance? If that accounts for all the balance in the company account then that is the end of it as far as your tax return is concerned, all that remains is to pay the CGT on your tax return.
    indeed waiting until under 25k remains is a very standard approach recommended by accountants when finally liquidating a company that has only a few shareholders

    (Note to be pedantic the 10k belongs to your role as shareholder, not your roll as director. I take it you were both 50/50 shareholders.)

  • curtis122
    curtis122 Posts: 235
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 September at 12:44PM

    Yes the company account has zero balance and yes we both had equal share/split.

    Thank you for the confirmation.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.