We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Advice on settlement

I am currently on a DMP with step . I currently have £9000 debt over 5 creditors. I have been on the DMP for around 4 years and probably another 15 years before its payed off . I’ve decided to get a personal loan to pay off my DMP however the max I could borrow ( as I considered the monthly payments) over 5 years is £5000 .
Now I know additional credit is not allowed on a DMP so they won’t be happy if I tell Step Change that is money is from a loan .
my questions how likely are my creditors to accept part settlement of £5000 on a £9000 debt (ideally I would like it to be less than £5000) How much should I offer my creditors?
Also as Step Change may not allow this me getting a loan . Would I be better to end my plan with Step Change and negotiate settlement figures myself with my creditors?
Although I am not even sure who my creditors are now as they have been sold several times over the years to different companies .
I feel a lot happier thinking I will be debt free after 5 years rather than paying into a DMP for forever more

Any advice welcome

Comments

  • OK Forget a loan, probably difficult to get one at anything like a reasonable amount because of what your credit report will say.

    You probably be better to self manage then you can do different things.

    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • Altior
    Altior Posts: 2,139 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    You have an interest free loan, depreciating by inflation annually, that is costing you £10 a week to service.

    It's a no lose scenario, since the damage was done four years ago. Don't take out a loan.

    Do you have any capital, or possibility to put some together?

  • susieanne
    susieanne Posts: 450 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker

    Thankyou for your reply’s . I could probably start saving more to throw at the debt but very unlikely to save £9000 or anything anywhere near that amount . Possibly £3000 -£4000 over the next 12 months .
    I do feel that I want to start managing my debts myself rather than Step Change so I am more in control.
    I am unsure if this is a good idea though . I think Step Change has worked out I will be debt free in approximately 2039 . That is way past my retirement age so I am eager to try to get this debt payed or maybe partially paid via settlements

  • Altior
    Altior Posts: 2,139 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Clearing it early is a possibility, but don't use a loan.

    You must be paying your creditors relatively tiny amounts, and they will probably be open to settlement.

    As I alluded to, you have a no lose scenario, as your current terms are very good anyway. So probably self manage, initially making exactly the same manual payments as SC are doing for you now. Then try to put together a war chest to obtain settlement offers, possibly starting with the creditor receiving the lowest payment, and low ball offers. The way I see it, you have all the cards here and they will be quite open to getting you off their books.

  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,097 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier

    IF it's going to take 15 years (180 months) to pay off 9k that infers you have only £50 per month to service this. Forget the loan.

    Is there a reason you can't do a DRO?

    Have you done cca requests on relevant debts?

    Have you tried affordability complains?

  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper

    Please do not entertain getting another loan, totally the wrong move.

    Your debts were sold for a mere fraction of their face value, that 9k probably would have been sold on for a few hundred quid split between the 5 buyers, please don`t fall at the first hurdle, all you`ll be doing is making them profit from your misery.

    Fatbelly makes two good suggestions for reducing what`s owed, you could also write and ask them to agree to make a commercial decision and write off the balances due to the length of time it will take to repay the debts, try anything but borrowing more money.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.