We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Landmark Default notice

Hello, I thought I’d posted this on the DMP thread but it’s definitely not there now so hoping it’s ok here.


My husband and I have been on a DMP since 2022. All but two of the CC/loans have defaulted. The two being updraft and Landmark (we stupidly got a 125% mortgage when we were young and naive).

I’ve just had a letter to say that Landmark are going to default us if we don’t bring the account up to date and pay around £3k of arrears. The letter shows the accepted payments from stepchange that they’ve been receiving but now says it will terminate our agreement and then obviously threatens lots of horrible things if we don’t pay up.


From some brief reading here, we actually could have done with defaulting so much longer ago and it’s not a bad thing to default. I was ok with defaulting the others but for some reason I suddenly feel worried. We won’t own any property so those threats are fine (we sold our house to be able to get a three bed, so we’ve been renting for 10 years). But I am worried about the CCJ threats I guess.

Anyway, I guess im looking for some reassurance and also advice about what we should do. And whether we should also be doing something about the updraft too.


We’ve now got £47000 left after being on the DMP for 4 years so still feels a long way off.

«1

Comments

  • bunnygreen
    bunnygreen Posts: 62 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September at 11:50AM

    hi all. I wasn’t sure whether to start my own thread or join here so in the end decided here, hope that’s ok.
    I haven’t used this forum in a long long time but I was hoping for some advice.

    I’ve been on a debt management plan since 2022. Paid off approx £13k since then and have £47k remaining. That’s joint debt with my husband although my only actual debt is the landmark account which is at £19k, the rest is in my husband’s name.
    Anyway, today, we received notification from Landmark that they are going to default unless we pay the arrears of just under £3k within the next few weeks. Then it goes on threatening lots of other stuff. We’ve received defaults on all but one other loan (updraft) so I kind of knew that we probably want the default and I’ve been fine with the other defaults - but for some reason the Landmark one makes me nervous.


    However, I came here trying to look for some answers and in a short space of time feel like we’ve not dealt with this properly at all and the fact we’re over 4 years in and have 2 big loans that haven’t defaulted is a bad thing!

    When it all felt overwhelming we turned to step change and just went straight on a DMP and made regular payments, albeit reduced. We were still getting interest for some time on some of them but I think landmark have stopped that in the last year or so.

    Honestly we got to the point of a manageable monthly payment and I’ve just let it slide for the last few years feeling like it’s fine.

    But now looking to see what we actually should be doing now and also see if anyone has any experience of landmark defaulting and any consequences. We rent now, sold our house 10 years ago to enable us to live in a bigger house so then stuck with the higher rate unsecured loan from the stupid 125% mortgage we naively got ourselves into.


    Anyway, sorry that was a lot. Any suggestions on next steps very welcome.

  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    This discussion was created from comments split from: DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    edited 14 September at 11:53AM

    @bunnygreen I`ve moved your post to a new thread, and merged your other post with this one, as the old DMP support page see`s much less traffic these days.

    I see no reason why this loan should be handled any differently, to any of the others, but having said that, all options are open to the lender, the usual response would be to assign it to a collection company, or to sell the debt.

    If you get unlucky they may take you to court, but in that instance you simply admit the debt and agree an affordable payment plan, sanctioned by the court, nothing here that should make you feel in the slightest bit nervous.

    Please read the responses you have had.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,097 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    edited 14 September at 11:50AM

    My first thought was that that was a long dmp. 4 years in and only paid off a quarter. Then I thought 'well, probably a homeowner who doesn't want an IVA'.

    Then you reveal that you rent, and Stepchange are involved.

    So what do Stepchange say about the option of bankruptcy?

  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,593 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 14 September at 11:50AM

    If you have paid off 13k in 4 years and have 47k left, then I agree with @fatbelly that bankruptcy or a debt relief order may be serious options for you two.

    Could we see a simple list of your debts and another list of your husband's debts? One line each, lender name, rough balance

  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,012 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 14 September at 11:50AM

    Another one querying why DROs wouldn't work for one or both of you?

    Do either of you own expensive cars.

    In addition to his and hers lists of debts, a list of assets worth more than £2k would be useful.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
  • If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 32,949 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • bunnygreen
    bunnygreen Posts: 62 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September at 1:20PM

    So sorry, I could not find my other post! Haven’t used a forum in so many years!


    Thanks everyone. So reason that bankruptcy isn’t an option is husband is a company director and so it would affect his job.

    Debts are as follows:


    Mine is just the Landmark approx £19.7k


    Husband:

    Landmark as above  

    •  LINK FINANCIAL OUTSOURCING  £16,779.00  (Zopa)
    •  UPDRAFT DMP C/O ARYZA EVOLVE  £6,344.00  
    •  LINK FINANCIAL OUTSOURCING  £1,584.00  
    •  LINK FINANCIAL OUTSOURCING - (HSBC I think)  £1,537.30  
    •  MOORCROFT - PAYPAL  £1,203.00  

    Estimated end date of DMP Sept 2037


    only assets are my second hand car worth approx £2k that I use for school runs (husband has a company car)

  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 37,012 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Please can you clarify? Is the Landmark loan your alone, or joint with hubbie?

    I'd add that quite a lot of people have success with affordability complaints re Updraft and Zopa. He'd need advice as to how that might affect his credit record but sometime the entire credit record is removed.

    If you've have not made a mistake, you've made nothing
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.