We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PAYE and untaxed interest

In 2025/26 my savings interest was more that what was estimated on my tax code notice. I will be paying the extra tax via the self assessment calculation plus payments on account for 2026/27.

For 2026/27 HMRC used the same amount of expected interest and I anticipate it may be an unestimate again.

Do this mean it is likely HMRC will change my tax code to take more tax from PAYE in 2027/28 as for 2 consecutive years they have underestimated the amount of savings interest?

Thank you for reading.

Comments

  • fuzzzzy
    fuzzzzy Posts: 438
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 13 September at 10:52PM

    Sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

    The first year I did self assessment I found it really confusing how tax from PAYE and self assessment interacted, and I still don't know how it all works.

    Now I always tick the box on the self assessment form to say that I do not want tax for anything other than employment earnings / pension collected via the current year's tax code. So I now always have a standard tax code applied for my pension and I pay the rest of tax owed for savings interest through self assessment. I find it much easier to get my head around it that way.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,743
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    If 80% or more of your tax is collected via PAYE then you would not have to pay the payments on account.

  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,351
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    This is what I do. As soon as I get my final annual savings interest statements around May time I give HMRC a call to update the previous years amounts. At the same time I give them a guestimate as to what my interest will be in the current year (as it's usually more) this then triggers a tax code change so any tax is then spread over the year.

  • qsk
    qsk Posts: 521
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    When did your tax code change? I submitted my SA two months ago and still no tax code update. I actually phoned them in an attempt to update it but they say it is an automated process.

  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 1,351
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    It changed in my account pretty much straight away though took about 3 weeks to get the letter. I did it about 3 weeks before my pay day and the new code was applied already. This is PAYE though not SA

  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,531
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    Both mine is and MrsM's accounts show updated interest for this year "based on information from previous". Incorrectly high so have adjusted to an accurate estimate. No sign of an adjustment for last year where I do owe tax though nor an adjustment for this year's estimate.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 25,322
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Isubmitted correct details in April and received my repayment and amended code three weeks ago.

  • littlemoney
    littlemoney Posts: 913
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite

    I joined self self assessment when in April 2026 I was asked to do one for 2024/25 which I paid and accountant to do. Now doing 2025/26 myself. Steep learning curve helped by everyone here.

    I'm guessing it will take a little longer for everything to get sorted as not yet submitted 2025/26. Been going back and amending based on comments here

  • You have to be careful with this as HMRC "assumes" the same level of interest as the current tax year for the next tax year, I moved a sum of money from my savings account into an ISA to avoid paying tax on interest over the threshold, but HMRC assumed the same amount was due the following year.

    Still waiting to see if the have got it right for last year as it take them forever to do the previous years final calculation.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.