We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How safe is my pension?

135

Comments

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,353 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Why do you have a SIPP if you have all these concerns about them?

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

    If you google Client Assets Sourcebook (CASS) audit, it may ease your mind a little. I haven't actually done anything like it myself since back in the days of paper share certificates though so don't ask me for details!

  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 14 September at 11:44PM

    Let us suppose that someone like AJ Bell did go under completely and all the money was gone, leaving ordinary (albeit well-off) investors facing the loss of 6-figures or millions, the FSCS having confirmed that they nominally only cover £85,000. Let's leave aside that a theft of this magnitude is, for all intents and purposes, logistically impossible. This would be an unprecedented financial scandal; every previous major scandal has involved investors who were overexposed to a single company (Equitable Life, Allied Steel, Madoff). There has never, in financial history, been a case where investors holding diversified portfolios via mainstream providers providing returns in line with the global market suddenly found their investments had vanished. (Unsurprisingly as it is logistically impossible.)

    You're probably alluding to it with the "logistically impossible" comment, but it's worth pointing out that AJ Bell have something in the region of £9 billion in assets under management. If the directors did steal it all, what would they do with it? You can't spend £9 billion on cocaine, fast cars, loose women and round the world cruises. Well, I would gladly volunteer to test this theory experimentally, but in practice most of the money would still be sitting in my bank account when the fraud was uncovered (assuming I could even find a bank willing to take £9 billion without asking where I'd got it), so it would easily be recovered and returned to it's rightful owners...

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I had some P2P investments - some in a IFISA wrapper. I largely managed to escape any losses when it all came tumbling down.

    However it has had no effect whatsoever on my confidence in mainstream investment platforms, pensions etc.

    It is a totally different world.

  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,662 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Who was the poster on here who was always extolling the virtues of P2P? They haven't been around for a while.

  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 2,301 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    Yes, this. There is a good regulatory system n place where institutions have to demonstrate they are reconciling what they say they are holding for their clients, to the official registers for those assets.

    It's certainly not perfect in that it will typically be looking at an aggregate level of holdings for the same stock/fund/ETF rather than what is in your own account specifically, but it does mean that it would be very difficult for a regulated institution to create a phantom book of assets and just siphon off your cash.


    Unlike Marcon, I don't think it's unreasonable to want to get a bit more assurance than simply taking the FCA Authorised/Regulated badge as being a panacea, but then I've seen (from the inside) the effects of when regulation fails!

  • jimi_man
    jimi_man Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,353 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 15 September at 12:43PM

    Unlike Marcon, I don't think it's unreasonable to want to get a bit more assurance than simply taking the FCA Authorised/Regulated badge as being a panacea, but then I've seen (from the inside) the effects of when regulation fails!

    ….as have I. I'm astonished that you think I've taken any such view re the FCA.

    Look again: I didn't say anything like that. Given earlier posts in this thread (quoted below for ease of reference), I merely asked why OP has chosen to have a SIPP rather than a non-SIPP personal pension.

    Screenshot 2026-09-15 at 12.40.16.png
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Storcko14
    Storcko14 Posts: 142 Forumite
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper

    I think you might be looking for the wrong bad actors. A bigger and higher probability risk is probably an AI facilitated cyber-security breach. That's likely to be what keeps Risk and Compliance teams busy.

  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 2,301 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper

    I'm not really convinced that whether it's a SIPP or non SIPP really makes much difference to the question about whether the manager could make off with your money (yes, sure, insured funds etc etc but ultimately fraud is fraud and if the money isn't invested there at all, it's all the same thing)


    But fair enough, it read that way to me, but if that wasn't your point then I completely accept that!

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.