We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Scottish Widows - partial transfer out - by paper form(s) only ? who sends the paperwork?

Hello,

I've got an active workplace pension with SW. Thinking of a partial transfer to another provider (to ii for this first partial transfer).

To start with, I asked SW whether partial transfers are allowed (as opposed to a full value transfer only).

And I got the e-mail reply below with a pdf "Declaration of Claim Discharge" form attached (an extract(s) from that Declaration is copied below as well).

I will try calling SW but before I do, to gather thoughts on what else I need to clarify with them (apart from "any protection" - which I'm 99% sure I do not have any), would appreciate forum's comments/experiences on below

  1. I am interpreting the e-mail response that the scheme allows partial transfers (since I can "amend this to the value you would like to transfer" ) - anybody sees any other interpretation?
  2. Is this really the case that SW operates with paper only?
  3. I thought the normal practice is to apply to a receiving scheme and they would deal with SW. However, the Declaration form I have been sent suggests I will need to send this paper form to the receiving scheme myself and then, when received completed, back to SW? Really? I joined this scheme in 2004, surely this is not the most ancient one.

Many thanks

*******************************

Please find enclosed the following information as requested.

  • A quotation of transfer value benefits
  • A declaration of claim discharge form

Please note that value included on the discharge paperwork is for the full fund value. Please amend this to the value you would like to transfer from this policy, a minimum of £2 must be left in the policy for it to remain active.

To take one of the transfer quotation options please follow the instructions given in the enclosures detailed above. Please note that any protection may be lost upon transfer.

************************************************

image.png image.png

Comments

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,361 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    In pension scheme terms, one which is over 20 years old is very old indeed! It predates any number of legislative changes and it's therefore no surprise that some of the administrative procedures are equally elderly. Just follow the instructions and you'll get there, albeit a bit more slowly than a modern plan.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,873 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Is this really the case that SW operates with paper only?

    No. SW uses Origo on the vast majority of its plans. Some heritage plans cannot use Origo.

    Also, as you contacted SW, they may have just assumed you wanted a discharge form if your receiving scheme doesn't use Origo.

    I thought the normal practice is to apply to a receiving scheme and they would deal with SW. 

    Correct. However, if the receiving scheme doesn't use Origo, then you normally get the discharge form from the ceding scheme in advance.

    However, the Declaration form I have been sent suggests I will need to send this paper form to the receiving scheme myself and then, when received completed, back to SW? Really?

    That is the case where the receiving scheme doesn’t use Origo.

    I joined this scheme in 2004, surely this is not the most ancient one.

    The Scottish Widows 2004 range was out of date by around 2007. Although they kept retailing it until around 2012. It won't be a heritage plan and it will use Origo (so won't need a discharge form unless the receiving scheme doesn't use Origo).

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • RNV
    RNV Posts: 147 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Thanks a lot @Marcon and @dunstonh,

    Hopefully, all will be clear when I manage to speak to somebody at SW.

    ii platform, I assume, 100% uses Origo.

    When I said I joined in 2004, it was that I started this employment in 2004 and joined the workplace scheme then. I have no idea how old is the workplace scheme itself that I have been added to.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,642 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I applied for a partial transfer from SW to a modern SIPP about three years ago. Because it was a partial transfer, the SIPP provider sent me forms to fill in, rather than just doing it online. I do not know the real reason but it seems with pension providers anything that is not 100% standard ( like transferring all of an uncrystallised pension) can not often be done online.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.