We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Not pluggin solar.
I have been considering a PnP solar system
I'm not super worried about pack back time, possibly a bit of a vanity project for myself or trying to dip my toe into solar. Obviously, payback would be good, but not my main drive.
I'm disappointed that PnP solar does not accommodated batteries! I was considering an EcoFlow Stream 5000 and 4 panels.
I have a flat roof garden office that could take 4 panels. This garden office has it's own distribution board and a spare circuit, that was going to be used for an electric heater, but is not being used. It has it's own fused switch.
Can I wire a Stream 5000 directly into this spare circuit where the heater was going to be wired in? There are no other connections on this circuit.
So not plugin, but directly wired in to it's own circuit - is that allowed or are there other restrictions a need to watch out for?
I will ensure the distribution board has bi-directional fuse. The garden office is fed from the main house with a 40A SWA cable.
Comments
-
Sounds like a possible plan. I have three of the first gen Stream batts.
But you will have to notify the DNO about the Stream, assuming they are certified and accepted by the DNO(s) thus classifying them as an 800W SSEG (small scale embedded generation), and the PV system size (I believe).
Just a thought, but perhaps even if Ecoflow's ability to restrict output to 800W (in the UK) isn't recognised, its max output would still hopefully be accepted by the DNO, and below the 3.68kW limit for pre-notification.
I suspect I'm overthinking it. But have for some time thought this might be a quicker and cheaper way to get a smallish PV and battery system.
Edit - You may have already found this, so apologies for the previous waffle. Ecoflow have info on UK installs and G98 compliance / procedures. Examples below:
Guidelines for EcoFlow Solar System Installation in the UK
G98 Notification: Form, DNO Process and UK Timeline Explained
Mart. Cardiff. 8.72 kWp PV systems (2.12 SSW 4.6 ESE & 2.0 WNW). 28kWh battery storage. Two A2A units for cleaner heating. Two BEV's for cleaner driving.
For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.0 -
It's just a matter of time before the batteries become approved. Octopus are already saying they plan a solar + battery system for next year.
Having said that if you do get the Ecoflow system you could simply ask an electrician to add it as a fused spur. You may not be aware that you do need a special power monitor also. The supported ones are rather clumpy ones designed really for 3 phase but support single phase too. Unlike using a plug solution, the fused spur solation allows you to legally remove the 800w restriction, allowing the battery to fully supply more power hungry devices. The electrician I used charged £150 to install for both jobs. He tested the system and proved the Type AC RCD work perfectly and everything was safe. There is some debate about needing a Type A RCD.
I have an ecoflow stream configured with two panels. I also have an e-on tariff and charge the battery from 2pm to 5pm. The solar supplies electricity when there is sunlight and the 4pm-7pm period uses the battery. We use the washing machine and dishwasher over night and the cooker after 7pm. It's early days but everything is work really well.
The bonus being the internet router now has battery backup now and with the laptop having a battery makes working from home a safe bet.
0 -
Thanks for the links above. I was considering a DIY install, as I'm effectively using PnP kit just
with a battery.As mentioned by @sheenas above , if this is added to the fused spur, is it compliant?
I will still be limiting the output to 800w, as I will fully consume any daytime solar generation in the evening without having to increase that. I don't expect my solar generation to be that good due to some shading over the flat roof, but if the opportunity to increase the output over 800w was available, that might be useful for future planning (more battery and TOU arbitrage).
I'm aware that I need a power meter like a Shelly or EcoFlow branded alternative.
0 -
You'll get G98 approval as they dont care about most things (wiring, item locations) and EcoFlow system is approved, here example of their inverter:
It should also work fine and nobody will ever check your system.
But question if it will be fully legal? It will definitely be more legal than trying to just plug it to the socket as for , but theres so many requirements for where the battery should be stored: PAS 63100:2024 - 40 pages.. wiring regulation BS7671:2018 and A4:2026 amendments.. panels location have their own rules etc.
I think most of Chinese electronic items bought online arent fully legal if one was to check every single detail.
0 -
If it's a hard wired solar, not plug-in, then it should be on its own dedicated circuit with a type A (or better) bidirectional RCD. The rules keep changing every few years.
Many electricity companies will ask for an MCS certificate for the install if you want to apply for export payments.
And the new rules for where to put the battery are a pain in the neck. These days, they are usually hung on the outside of the house. Or, at a push, in a fire rated garage or a fire resistant plant room.
If it sticks, force it.
If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.2
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
