We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Redundancy payment and SIPP

Hello everyone and apologies in advance for my limited knowledge of this field. I have taken voluntary redundancy and the pot was around £89000. I’m still waiting for my P45. I know the 1st £30 000 is tax free, and you can only invest up to £60 000, or earnings from employment, whatever is lower ( without incurring tax in the SIPP). My question is: does the taxable portion of the redundancy payment count as earnings, or are earnings strictly what you earn as per monthly payslips?If I look strictly at salary and totally exclude redundancy pay, it was about £15000 up to leaving. Ideally I’d like to invest £18000. However, I am also planning on taking my DB pension in January, February and March when I turn 60. This will total about £3900. Does this complicate things further? Many thanks.

Comments

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,628 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Yes the redundancy money above £30K counts as 'relevant earnings' for pension purposes.

    So you could add up to £74K to a pension including tax relief. Although above £60K you will probably have unused allowance from previous years. Obviously that is a lot but you could consider adding enough to avoid paying any 40% tax this tax year.

    £74K taxable income + £4K DB pension- means you will pay 40% tax on about £28K ( assuming you have the usual £12570 personal allowance available) .

    40% tax relief is very generous, especially if you will be a basic rate taxpayer when you take the pension.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.