We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

PV System Comparison

Sorry if this has been done before, but I thought it would be useful to have a simple comparison of people’s systems and their typical yearly figures.

My system

2 × 400 ESE

4 × 400 W WNW

Solis S5 2.5kw inverter

Installed August 2022

My average yearly figures

Generation: ~1,700 kWh

Export: ~1,160 kWh

Import: ~2,070 kWh

Import rate; outfox energy 21.97p,

export rate: fuse energy 13p

Future improvements

If I was to extend, I’d add 4 more panels on the ESE side.
If 5 kWh batteries ever drop below £1,000, I’d probably consider adding one

Comments

  • Heedtheadvice
    Heedtheadvice Posts: 3,118 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    "If 5 kWh batteries ever drop below £1,000, I’d probably consider adding one"

    Fogstar Energy Stackable 48V 5.12kWh Battery £699.99 ?

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,932 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 1 September at 2:23PM

    That's just the battery; the inverter would be extra, as would cables, connectors and fitting.

    You can get an inverter (a hybrid that would replace the OP's Solis) and 5kWh battery from Ecoworthy for ~£1100, which is close to the OP's target:

    https://ebay.io/m/FAqkGa

    Edit: that might be an off-grid only inverter, don't do anything hasty without checking!

    OP I'll be back later with some figures for comparison. Short answer: my rooftop panels aren't very many more Wp than yours, but they're closer to south-facing and so generate more electricity in total (but less in the early morning and late afternoon, when yours probably do better).

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,932 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Coming back to the "comparison" bit. Some of what follows is in my signature!

    My rooftop system: 11 x 247w panels, 2.72kWp, facing SSW, installed 2012. Solis 3kW inverter (replacement, installed 2023).

    My battery: 16kWh Fogstar Seplos battery, Sofar ME3000SP inverter.

    My average yearly figures: Generation 2600kWh/yr.

    Import and export has changed a lot over 14 years but currently it's running around 4000kWh/yr of import, 2000kWh/yr of export (note below). BUT this year I'm deliberately managing my usage to maximise export, since I can import on IOG for 8p/kWh and export on Outgoing Fixed for 12p/kWh, which means it's worth me exporting as much solar as I possibly can and refilling my battery overnight.

    I don't go so far as to intentionally discharge my battery into the grid, other than for Octopus Saving Sessions.

    We're also running an EV that uses around 2000kWh/yr. That's included in the numbers above.

    In previous years, where I wasn't on metered export and I was trying to minimise import while maximising self-consumption, I managed to get import down to under 2000kWh/yr, and export under 500kWh/yr.

    So, if we ignore the battery and EV, my rooftop panels are a similar overall capacity to yours but produce almost half as much electricity again. Some of that will be because mine face south, some will be due to location and shading; I'm in the central south where solar PV does fairly well (tho' not quite as well as jimjames's installation).

    Note: I've tried to exclude the effects of my guerilla solar add-ons from this (0.96kWp / 1kW inverter ground array, 1,8kWp / 800W inverter shed array), but that can only be a best guess.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • HalfFull
    HalfFull Posts: 27 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 1 September at 10:53PM

    "About" 10kWp of assorted panels across 5 roof and ground mounted arrays. Two x dual MPPT inverters with max Voc panels on each input

    Last 12 months, 4300kWh generation, 95% self consumed.

    Next/Current Upgrade:- Bought 100 x 250W used panels @ £5 per panel (£20 per kWp). All seem to be 95+% of original output spec. Will install as many as I can, sell/swap the rest. ROI panels:- <30 days in summer !!!! New inverter bought this summer still in a box too.

    No plans for a battery

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,932 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    ^ Wow! That's a lot of panels.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.