We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Problems logging in to itv/win site - help please

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone more tech savvy than me could give a possible reason as to why I suddenly can't enter itv comps online. I've been happily entering, redeeming tokens and paying online on their site for a few years.

To log in you have to go to the site, type in your phone number and press continue. You then put in your passcode or press 'forgotten password' in which case they send you a new one every time which comes through to your mobile and you input it onto the site to log in. I've always chosen this method as I thought it more secure than having the same password every time.

However, for the past fortnight or so when I've input my phone number and pressed 'continue' and 'forgotten password' the page hasn't moved. There's just been a clock counting down and when it gets to zero the initial login page has bounced back. I've tried a second and third time in case I'd done something wrong but after the 3rd time it logs you out for 24 hours. Then the whole thing starts all over again.

I've contacted ITV and they came back to me with a very detailed checklist of what to do, ie check you've input the correct phone number, check your blocked numbered lists, cleared your cache's etc, switch your phone off and back on again, none of which has worked. They also said that as their passcode system appeared to be working normally there must be a problem with my phone provider which is Tesco. However, I've entered other comps which require a 4 digit passcode (Gary Barlow wines is one example) and the code was received instantly, as are codes to log in to my online banking and so forth. So I'm convinced the problem lies with itv.

I'm wondering if for whatever reason they think there may be some fraudulent activity on my phone or i'm not the person they think I am. I've replied to their original response re what to do, telling them all this but haven't received a response.

It now means I can't access account to spend my tokens or enter any of the comps, nor free ones online. Text entries are still going through but they work out more expensive.

I know nobody on here will be able to solve this for me but was just interested in your views.

Thank you.

Comments

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,462 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    A phone number and a 4 digit passcode. Not exactly Fort Knox is it.

    The last time you were able to log in you will have used a passcode sent as a text.

    That passcode stays valid unless you change it to one of your own or renew it with another 'forgotten passcode' response.

    Do you still have the last valid passcode SMS on your phone?

  • carriejj
    carriejj Posts: 94 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Thank you for your resonse. I do click 'forgotten passcode' every time so it's a different one each time. Maybe I didn't make that clear. No it hasn't been Fort Knox but for the past two weeks it has been.

  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 12,462 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Yes, perfectly clear.

    My point is that you have not received a new, valid passcode despite multiple attempts to generate one. Therefore the last passcode that you received (and used to login) remains valid, or should do.

    So do you still have the SMS from two weeks ago with that passcode?

  • angler71
    angler71 Posts: 438 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I have the same problem , been over a month now . Won’t take my pass and when I click for a new one nothing comes through

    Thanks To Everyone Who Posts :beer:
  • carriejj
    carriejj Posts: 94 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper

    Sorry you've been having the same problem @angler71. Have you messaged them? If not, it might be worth doing so. I messaged them a 2nd time yesterday. They got back to me within a couple of hours and they said they had 'fixed' the problem and gave me a passcode to log in with. They also said 'the passcodes for ITV Win are one-time codes, so they can't be reused in future. Each time you log in, a brand new passcode will be generated for you. But now that everything is working again, you should be able to receive those codes normally going forward'. Hope it's fixed for you soon ☺️

  • angler71
    angler71 Posts: 438 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Hi, They have messaged me and I have tried everything still can’t get back in

    Thanks To Everyone Who Posts :beer:
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.