Changed My Phone Number - but am not going to tell the banks!

Options
fat_jedi
fat_jedi Posts: 167 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 21 April 2010 at 3:07PM in Debt-free wannabe
"If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination."

Comments

• MoneyGypsy
    MoneyGypsy Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    No idea but that is surely harassment.

Lol.
    :A :A :A :A
    DFW Nerd No.: 789 Ligthbulb moment: 23/09/07
    Challenge: No bank loans and CC gets cleared every month.
    Need to think about restarting the Grocery Challenges
    Sealed Pot Challenge: Put change in and give to charity when full.
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fat_jedi wrote: »
    My wife and I sent some letters to advise creditors that we are looking at a payment plan because of serious debt and to offer reduced payments for a period.

Most were fine and helpful, but Barclaycard and AA Loans have been calling between 5-10 times per day.

Add on the silent calls because we're connected and they do not have an opperator free and you're looking at a very busy phone!

We told them to leave us alone and stop calling so often - but to no avail.

We told them to deal with us in writing only and to withdraw permission to contact us by phone - to no avail.

So, we changed our number.

This has stopped the calls thank goodness!

Just waiting for the letters saying, "we tried to call you..."

Are we dutifully bound to give banks and creditors phone numbers?

FJ

No.

Just inform them that you do not have a telephone number and let them know anymore corespondance must be done in writing :)
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • nic01_2
    nic01_2 Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    No your not, but they should stop calling once they have spoken to you about the situation. There is no need for them to keep calling if they know about it. That's how it goes where i work anyway. (yes i work in the financial industry, dont laugh hehe!!)

They prob will contact you by letter, but i would raise this with them (the calls) if they have spoken to you about everything and especially if you've came to an arrangement with them!
    OD1 £1900 OD2 £500 Capital One CC £1411 Tesco CC 0% £2906 Tesco CC 0% £1927 MBNA 0% CC £1981
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    This was the best thing we ever did with creditors and regardless of all the information/legislation in the world about stopping the harrassing calls, nothing seems to work in the real environment.

Remember to ENSURE that your new number is ex-directory, you have joined www.tps.co.uk and you tick the box on your electoral role that you do not want your detailed sold on. And give it out to no-one! (Friends and family excepted!)

This will make sure that they never get your number through "other" means.
  • davek1
    davek1 Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    best thing i ever did. changed number, changed provider and made sure ex directory. No one other than friends and family have it and i dont give it out to anyone. If i do ( ont he very rare occasion) call a DCA or creditor i withold the number first or use mobile where i can hide my number. Everyone writes to me now. Still it keeps the postie in work!!!!

Dave
  • fat_jedi
    fat_jedi Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This was the best thing we ever did with creditors and regardless of all the information/legislation in the world about stopping the harrassing calls, nothing seems to work in the real environment.

Remember to ENSURE that your new number is ex-directory, you have joined www.tps.co.uk and you tick the box on your electoral role that you do not want your detailed sold on. And give it out to no-one! (Friends and family excepted!)

This will make sure that they never get your number through "other" means.

Thanks for reminding me about the TPS - we were on it, but didn't cross my mind to register the new number!!!!! Thank you!!!

The link you have in your post is for a recruitment service though!!:rotfl:

The actual link is: http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

FJ
    "If you think things can't get worse it's probably only because you lack sufficient imagination."
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    Don't phone them as they number snatch
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• Badger_Lady
    Badger_Lady Posts: 6,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I'd forgotten about TPS too!

It's the most disgusting thing that financial services providers do - and it doesn't help anyone! When my ex-partner defaulted on our joint bank account, HSBC were continually calling me and just being rude to me over the phone... all over a matter of £180 that was fully comprised of their illegal bank charges.

I sympathise with you entirely, OP - you've done the right thing.
    Mortgage | £145,000Unsecured Debt | [strike]£7,000[/strike] £0 Lodgers | |
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport