We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

you tube pension scaremongering??

2»

Comments

  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 420
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    I did say I know it comes out in the wash - so overall tax wil still be 20%. but the private pension portion will be taxed at 24% to make up the lack of tax on the state pension - no? My head knows it shouldn’t matter but it’ll feel like it.

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,944
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 August at 9:01AM

    if you feel like you’re being taxed at 24% then your feelings are wrong, better looking at actual facts

    If only it was as simple as telling someone "nevermind how you feel, these are the facts".

    Many people trust their feelings more than they believe the facts. That's how these clickbait videos work, and how the people behind them make their living from YouTube monetisation.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Ecoflow Stream, Best kettle :-)
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 5,888
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Added to which, there are going to be a number of elderly, confused people who maybe haven't ever really understood how these things work, and become even more confused due to poor reporting in the popular press / social media.

  • johnaka
    johnaka Posts: 143
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite

    thank you. I thought as much. I'm currently getting taxed on my small pension.

  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 10,849
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite

    If you think this is bad, wait until after April next year when many more people will be on a K code.......

  • RogerPensionGuy
    RogerPensionGuy Posts: 985
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Reference April 2027 and pension DC SIPP IHT changes, these boards will get lots more interest and traffic.

    I have a good few people I know with big old SIPPs(many were mostly funded via DB transfers) and now under various IFA type people organisations.

    Out of the many, only one has been advised doing a smallish annuity now with annuity rates being high is sensible.

    Many of these people I know transfered because of leaving a legacy and IHT paranoia was so strong and they appear pretty reluctant to spend much in these go~go years to let the DC SIPPs hopefully roll up.

    Now we just have to wait, speculate and enjoy the media and YouTube posts before the next budget in October.

    I'm on the verge of doing another(last one) annuity, but currently thinking I'll await the budget and decide then as to what I do with my remaining DC SIPP.

    I've got the popcorn and coke all ready.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.