We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
Subject: Please help: a council tax banding error that cannot be reviewed
Dear Forum Members
I am writing to ask for your help with what I believe is a serious consumer and access-to-justice failure in the council tax system.
My home in the Northeast of England, was placed in Council Tax Band E in November 1993. I believe it should have been placed in Band D, since all the properties around me are similar and are in Band D. Yet, despite recently obtaining evidence of how the original decision was reached, I am prevented from having that assessment considered on its merits.
In March 2026, following a Subject Access Request to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), I received internal material relating to the original assessment. It appears the caseworker treated a roof void containing only a header tank as an “attic” and also applied what was described as a “corner property premium”. Neither of these elements of the reasoning were disclosed to me at the time.
This matters because the deadline for challenging the original 1993 banding was only six months. Under Regulation 4(5), that period expired around May 1994. I am now told that, regardless of whether the original banding was mistaken, it cannot be reviewed because the statutory time limit has long passed.
That creates a profound Catch-22. I could not challenge reasoning that was not disclosed to me; but once I eventually obtained it, more than three decades later, I was told it was too late to seek a remedy.
In 1993 there was no VOA website, online banding database, or practical way for an ordinary homeowner to obtain the underlying assessment information and relevant comparisons within six months. The information may have been technically held somewhere by government, but it was not practically accessible to a member of the public. The effect is that an original administrative error can be locked in permanently, even where the homeowner later obtains evidence that calls it into question.
I pursued an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal for England. It was struck out on 7 May 2026 because of the Regulation 4(5) time bar. There was an additional procedural concern at that point in that my written representations of 7 May were not put before the Vice President who made the decision. The Tribunal Service later confirmed that this had occurred, but my review application was rejected on the basis that it would have made no difference to the outcome.
They told me that the only apparent remaining route would be the High Court. That is simply not a realistic option for an ordinary homeowner without substantial financial resources. So, after 32 years of paying what I believe is an incorrect level of council tax, I am denied a hearing on whether the original banding was right or wrong—not because the evidence has been tested and rejected, but because the system says it is too late even to look at it.
I appreciate that time limits serve a purpose. But a rigid six-month deadline cannot be fair where the State’s underlying reasons were not disclosed, and where there was no practical means in 1993 for a homeowner to uncover or challenge them. In effect, the legislation rewards opacity and leaves citizens without an effective remedy.
I believe this could be a wider issue affecting other homes whose 1993 bandings were made using internal VOA assumptions that were never explained to householders. It raises an important question: should a person really remain permanently overcharged when documentary evidence of a possible original error emerges only decades after the legal deadline?
Is anyone else in this situation or found a means to address it?
Comments
-
While you don't have a legal right to a challenge, there is still a process you can follow to have your banding reviewed. Have you done this?
https://www.gov.uk/challenge-council-tax-band/do-not-have-a-legal-right-to-make-a-challenge
Are all the other properties around you also corner properties? If not, are the corner properties Band D or Band E?
0 -
Same here, tried the review, no help, sent details of nearby properties some costing 50 % more , more bedrooms, land ect, no joy.
0 -
In 1993 appeals were made against the CT bands of approx 10% of dwellings in England. The CT Valuation List was available for inspection at the local VO or council office, so you could have checked the bands of your neighbours. Plenty of people have appealed their band within the 6 month time limit over the last 33 years.
The VO did not disclose how a banding was arrived at unless asked to do so by the CT payer
As was stated in a preceding post, you can ask the VO to review your band (which you could have done at any time after May 1994), but you have to provide evidence to support your belief that the band is incorrect.
If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales1 -
In 1993 the most obvious critierion for appealing your council tax band was simply that the value of the house indicated it should be in a different band that the one it was allocated - exactly how the banding was arrived at didn't need to be known. I successfully appealed the banding both of the property I was living in and one I was buying simply by showing how much nearby properties had sold for and/or what bands neighbouring properties were in.
The introduction of council tax was a big thing at the time (following the failed introduction of poll tax) and there was a great deal of information around (in newspapers and via word of mouth) on how to challenge the banding. Pretty much our whole street was moved down a band after we got together and all challenged it.
1
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

