We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Bankruptcy & Beneficial Interest experience

2»

Comments

  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,591 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    It is pretty unusual for someone to owe that much to HMRC, and that combined with a jointly owed house with a lot of equity with an ex you were not married to makes this rare.

    No personal experience.
    Professionally, I don't think I ever saw a client at such a late stage in a similar situation. Any early stage situation would have been referred to Business Debtline.

  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,506 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!

    Business debtline are very very helpful and know what they're talking about.

    In my experience knew more than Stepchange

  • AnonAnonAn0n
    AnonAnonAn0n Posts: 8 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    @manyways Thank you again, unfortunately I have not been well in my mind and have buried my head in the sand to the detriment of those I love and who should have been able to rely on me. I ended up with MH Crisis team 6 months ago but by that time things were to far gone and noone knew of the scale other than me, and even I did not realise. The fees and compounding interest from HMRC over the last 3 years plus my inability to tackle the situation, has meant I am responsible for my ex and kids losing their home. The guilt is unbearable. No fraud or Ferraris just a grown adult who has the ability to earn a good income but complete inability to take responsibility for managing his finances.I am getting treatment from the MH team but the reality of what I have done is now clear and feels insurmountable. I have an IP putting my limited company into CVL but as there is an OD DLA I will be liable. I will then need to go bankrupt or wait to be petitioned, but the scythe over our heads makes me want to get it over and done with. I tried business debt line but too far gone and I struggled with the calls, the occupational therapist tried to help but as you rightly say, to far down the line.

  • AnonAnonAn0n
    AnonAnonAn0n Posts: 8 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post

    Thank you for your response, I have an IP to close the company and I have Mental Health Crisis Breathing space at the moment. Maybe I should try them again but at this stage I am not sure they could help.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.