We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
CGT and Crypto money
newbie here so please be kind
I’ve earnt £17000 on crypto and I want to know how I tell HMRC about the tax I need to pay.
Never done self assessment before
Comments
-
Follow the guide here:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/check-if-you-need-to-pay-tax-when-you-sell-cryptoassets
0 -
I haven’t actually sold them. I’ve gone through a broker and they are sending me the payment?
0 -
That's confusing; you sell them via your broker and that is when it arises for tax. Whether or not you then withdraw the proceeds to your current account is irrelevant. Of course I'm assuming you haven't fallen for a scam.
2 -
Sorry, why do you need a broker in order to sell crypto?
0 -
On the how bit, you dont need a tax return for this at all. There's a real time capital gains service for non property gains, so you can report and pay without ever registering for self assessment. Deadline is 31 December after the tax year.
0 -
would you be able to send me a link please
0 -
They probably mean this page
Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax: If you have other capital gains to report - GOV.UK
Have you actually got the money now?
0 -
That's the right page DRS1 linked. Just check the 17k is your actual profit and not the whole payout, you only pay on what's left after taking off what you paid in. Then the first 3k of that is free anyway.
0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
