We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Neighbour in identical flat successfully changed CTax band but not me!

Gungho
Gungho Posts: 13 Forumite
Part of the Furniture Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker

My neighbour, a few years ago, informally challenged his council tax banding, he could show the price of the property in 1991 and it was in the low 30K. So he and the flat below him are in a lower council tax band.


I applied about 14 months ago, using the same evidence of his flat sale price, (we are in a row of identical terraced houses converted to identical flats) alongside several properties nearby also showing low prices in 1991 that I also included and I’ve had mine rejected today.

The letter I received said they were quite confident I was in the right band. I can’t understand it, surely that can’t be right?


what do I do now?

Comments

  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 19,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Ask the VO why the neighbours' bands were reduced as their flats are identical to yours. If the VO don't change their mind, then get your MP to write to them, but no guarantee even that will change their mind.

    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Gungho
    Gungho Posts: 13 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker

    yes I have sent them a letter to review. We are in terraced houses converted to flats, there is no difference. I found a few in this road at about 10k under the 1991 limit, so attached everything again as evidence.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.