We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The impact of inflation - yikes!

1…468910

Comments

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,687 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    If you want to see that in a chart look at HFEL which has very high dividend yield (currently over 9%). Over the last five years it is down 12% in nominal terms (more in real terms) - so the dividends could be said to be eating the capital. Of course during that time savings interest rates have gone up so maybe what happened to gilts happened to HFEL. Its price is now rising!

  • SouthCoastBoy
    SouthCoastBoy Posts: 1,183 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 20 August at 3:01PM

    I reinvest all dividends either through dividend re investment or accumulation funds, that way I'm hoping for more growth. I have a 5 year cash buffer in my sipp and another 10 years of cash in isa. Hopefully that way I should be immune to any stock market crash. I may invest some of the isa cash in equities at so.e point over the next 10 years depending what happens to markets.

    I'm going to start taking the cash from my sipp in the next tax year.

    I am well aware equities could fall or not rise for a long period of time, for examp the ftse 100 high of 1999 was not beaten until 2014.

    I fully expect to decumulate my investments over my retirement as long as I live long enough.

    It's just my opinion and not advice.
  • mrklaw
    mrklaw Posts: 410 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I thought at least from limited info I’ve seen is that a total portfolio approach (sell stuff) the success rate is higher as dividend stocks tend to be less diversified - you’re limiting your spread to companies with a high dividend payout; and that their growth is lower

  • tichtich
    tichtich Posts: 179 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    There's a lot to unpack there. Let's just say that overall (averaging over all stocks and very long periods of time) I wouldn't expect dividend stocks to beat growth stocks in total returns (dividends plus share price increases). Some time ago I heard the results of a study that found that dividend stocks had slightly underperformed growth stocks over the very long term. (No doubt this will depend on the time period, the universe of stocks under consideration, and how you define "growth" and "dividend" stocks.) So, on that basis, the dividend stocks must have sacrificed slightly more in share price appreciation than they paid out in dividends.

    However, I'm not talking about a general purpose investment strategy. I'm talking specifically about a strategy for a retiree who needs to draw an income from his portfolio, is faced with (IMO) currently high stock prices (especially for growth stocks) and is afraid of having to sell stocks for income after prices have fallen from the current high level. Being forced to sell stocks at a possibly bad time changes the calculus.

  • tichtich
    tichtich Posts: 179 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Funny you should mention HFEL, as I was considering it recently, but haven't bought any and probably won't. I believe that HFEL's "natural" dividend yield, based on paying out dividends from stocks in its portfolio, would only be about 4% (more like 3% after subtracting the fund's charges). Although it owns some high dividend stocks, others are medium to low. In fact, some of its biggest holdings, like TSMC, have very low dividends. HFEL makes up the remainder of its 9% yield by selling covered call options. So I don't think it's representative of managed funds that simply choose higher dividend stocks. I don't own any of those either, though I'm open to doing so. I'm more wary of high-dividend passive ETFs, as I'm afraid their investment formula might put too much emphasis on current dividend yield at the expense of long term dividend yield.

  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 18,668 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Hung up my suit!
    edited 20 August at 4:48PM

    In the last 12 months I had a 6.1% yield and in the previous 12 months 6.5%. The total incomes in £s were very close but prices have risen a bit over the past 2 years

    My portfolio is :

    Investment

    % allocation

    AEW UK Reit

    8.77

    CT Emerging Markets Bond Ins Inc

    6.79

    European Assets Trust

    8.99

    GCP Infrastructure

    6.55

    Janus Henderson Asian Dividend Income I Inc

    13.18

    MAN GLG UK Income Prof D Inc

    21.78

    Schroder High Yield Opp Z Inc

    14.89

    Schroder US equity income maximiser Z Dis

    10.50

    Sequoia economic infrastructure

    8.56

    Note that European Assets Trust has now been merged into European Small Companies Trust, but the high dividend strategy remains the same.

    I feel this % income is about as high as I would want to go whilst still maintaining diversification and keeping the risk within reasonable bounds. That is risk to the income; what happens to the market price is irrelevent since there is no intention to ever sell.

  • tichtich
    tichtich Posts: 179 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Thanks for posting your list of investments. I'll take a look at some of those, as I have some cash to allocate. Here's mine:

    Ticker

    Name

    % of Portfolio

    Yield

    CAML

    Central Asia Metals PLC

    3.12%

    7.99%

    CSN

    Chesnara Plc

    20.32%

    6.92%

    ERNS

    iShares Ultrashort Bond UCITS ETF GBP (Dist)

    9.33%

    4.27%

    IBZL

    iShares MSCI Brazil UCITS ETF USD (Dist)

    5.99%

    3.94%

    LGEN

    Legal & General Group Plc

    21.90%

    7.59%

    MLPP

    Invesco Morningstar US En Infra MLP UCITS ETF Dist

    11.18%

    7.31%

    SEIT

    SDCL Efficiency Income Trust PLC

    3.70%

    0.00%

    SHPP

    Tufton Assets Ltd

    12.89%

    7.62%

    VIP

    Value and Indexed Property IncomTrstPLC

    11.56%

    6.79%

    Overall yield is about 6.5%. A bit lower than I said earlier, as prices have risen. That includes ERNS, which is a near cash equivalent that I aim to deploy into equities when I find something that suits me. I also have some index-linked bonds that are in a separate pot and not listed here. That pot could also be deployed into equities, if there's a significant correction in stock prices.

  • MK62
    MK62 Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I get that you'd want to exclude "outliers"…….but the top and bottom deciles account for around 5 million adults in each of those income deciles, not just a few thousand…….

  • OldScientist
    OldScientist Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    An International index such as MSCI world might outperform UK equities (as it has over the last 26 years) or it might not (as it hasn't for a start date of 1972; the UK really outperformed in the 1980s and 90s). IMV, it is not necessarily the exact values that come out of such an analysis, e.g., for US-based investors the worst cases are -4.0% and 1.1% over 10 and 20 years, respectively), but the possibility that returns may be lower than many expect (FWIW, as a worst case, I usually use 0% real since calculations are then trivial!). Of course, sequence of returns can also make things worse.

    Agreed that guaranteed income from SP, inflation protected DB pension, RPI annuity, and/or collapsing ILG ladders (for those who don't want to hand over a premium to an insurance company) takes some of the worry out of relying on income from a risk portfolio.

    AFAIK, there has been very little numerical analysis done on the difference between total return and natural yield strategies. The only one I'm aware of is at https://finalytiq.co.uk/natural-yield-totally-bonkers-retirement-income-strategy/ - note that I disagree with the use of the word 'bonkers' and also note that the study is limited to a broad equity index and long nominal gilts rather than, for example, investment trusts or dividend focussed or high yield indices.

  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 29,744 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Efficient markets (hypothesis) would imply that choosing an asset class with lower volatility (which I assume is the rationale claimed for higher yield investments) would see lower average returns. Should be no such thing as a free lunch.

    I think....
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.