We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Reached end of the road - 54k debt

2»

Comments

  • ManyWays
    ManyWays Posts: 2,591 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I live a comfortable If a DMP isn't wise on my current circumstances, then I don't see how a formal insolvency would be much better?

    It eliminates the chance of anyone going for a CCJ. If Stepchange says the CU or Nationwide would veto it, you know where you stand.

    I agree with @fatbelly when he said "But you now have a long history with this and it does not seem to be getting better."

  • abaka
    abaka Posts: 307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    At this point I don't think there's benefits in exploring an IVA or a DMP. I'm still getting good 0% offers on existing cards and decent offers on potential new cards (36 months with both Santander & Natwest). And I won't need to move anything for at least another 6-8 months. Of course if I don't show eligible for those cards or my existing balance transfers dry up my circumstances will change. But in 6-8 months, I will have shaved almost 5k of the existing debts so if it becomes a problem then, at least it's 5k less of a problem.

    I think I was just spiralling yesterday. Unfortunately I am currently undiagnosed but 99% certain to have Bipolar and I think my head races to panic mode sometimes when there's no need to do so.

  • if it were me, I’d set a cap for my savings and once this is achieved, I’d put the monthly savings amount to the smaller credit union loan until it’s gone. I’d then work out how much was needed when the first 0% card moves to interest and save towards that in an interest bearing account.
    once I’d reduced the number of debts, I’d start to focus on the large credit union loan.

    June 2026, Mortgage free, Emergency fund fully funded & £200/200 cash maximum pb holding .:jWeight 12st challenge 11st 2lb

    Gift to children challenge £40k in 2 years. Short term gift challenge 7 presents and $1300 can by September.

    Determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection. I’m not perfect but I’m good enough.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6673398/hopefully-cruising-with-focus-towards-retirement#latest
  • MasterG83
    MasterG83 Posts: 813 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I was in a similar situation, you need a plan, once you've got it then run with it. Tackle the debt, moving debt around isn't working, take the smallest balance and get that paid off, close that account, then onto the next.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert. Please complete an SOA if you are looking for debt advice. Link here - https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Baby Step 6/7 . £20000 + saved and invested. £47,000 deposit paid on new home CONSUMER DEBT FREE !!!
  • abaka
    abaka Posts: 307 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    That is kinda what I’m considering I’m doing. Although I’m going to ignore the two CU loans at this point. Once I hit my savings goal (5k and currently sitting with £3500 although I do have car repairs to sort out this week) I’m going to stop focusing on paying the amount I'm paying into my savings. I'm going to then switch this amount into paying off each credit card based on the monetary value.

    Unfortunately this means I'll have to "move" things around some more. But there's a logic to it and I am actually formulating change. This week, I've cancelled some of my other credit cards because a) I'm not using them and b) I may want some new offers from them in the coming months. I've realised I've now went 3 months without putting anything on credit cards, I don't think I've ever had 3 consecutive months without spending something.

    I have this week switched my M&S card to Halifax for 18 months - This means I'll pay £25 a month instead of £70 which was the minimum payment. Allowing me to pump more money into my smallest debt.

    I should likely be able to clear the Halifax/Virgin card before the 0% ends (and comfortably so). I'll likely have to move the other Virgin card in July as I won't have cleared that but hopefully it should be a lot less than what it is now and I would like to think I'll get a decent offer on some long term 0% cards come next July.

    I believe I can clear my existing credit card debt in about 2.5 years which means I only have to move the Virgin card next year and maybe might have to look at the Barclaycard in March 29 but I think it will either be cleared or be a miniscule amount.

    At which point I can then focus on pumping serious money into both the CU loans (one will be practically be gone) and then the Nationwide loan

    I'm forcused and determined to finally follow through on this - I am also going to hold myself accountable by starting to post again on the debt free diaries.

  • 13thlegion
    13thlegion Posts: 173 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper

    Sounds like a sensible plan. And very well done on 3 months no cc spend. It's changes like that which make the biggest lasting difference.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.