We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Old Pensions, Advice Please

Hi, I have 3 old pensions with a single provider that are connected and I am not allowed to separate or add to. I currently am looking to draw down about half the balance which obviously I am not allowed to do.

My query is, should I transfer all the funds to another pension and then draw down just what I need?

Or

Should I draw down the total funds and then pay the funds I don't currently need into the other pension fund.

I'm thinking a direct transfer may cost me less, am I correct?

I need access to the funds quite quickly to make my garden manageable for health reasons so any advice would be very gratefully received. Many thanks.

Comments

  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 42,047 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Not convinced that your second option is actually valid, unless the pensions are very small - how much is in them and how much are you earning?

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Should I draw down the total funds and then pay the funds I don't currently need into the other pension fund.

    If you draw down all the funds then most likely you will pay some tax on them. Then there are rules about paying money into pensions, you can not just add what you want. It depends on your earnings and the sums involved.

    Normally it is quite easy to transfer pensions to a new provider, but I am not sure what this means.

    I have 3 old pensions with a single provider that are connected

    Can you expand on this ?

  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 16,353 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 16 August at 6:27PM

    Hi, I have 3 old pensions with a single provider that are connected and I am not allowed to separate or add to. I currently am looking to draw down about half the balance which obviously I am not allowed to do. 

    What sort of pensions are they - defined benefit or defined contribution?

    How are they connected?

    On the basis of the minimal information provided, it isn't 'obvious' why you aren't allowed to drawdown about half the balance (assuming you are aged at least 55, or have a 'younger' protected pension age). Please could you expand?

    My query is, should I transfer all the funds to another pension and then draw down just what I need? 

    Or

    Should I draw down the total funds and then pay the funds I don't currently need into the other pension fund. 

    I'm thinking a direct transfer may cost me less, am I correct?

    Unless you are required to take financial advice before transferring, then normally transferring pensions from one scheme to another shouldn't cost you anything.

    If you drawdown all the funds from all 3 pensions, you:

    • will almost certainly be saddled with a tax bill
    • may not have sufficient earned income to pay any 'unneeded' funds into a pension
    • could be caught by the recycling rules.

    In short, transferring is the simplest solution - but if the transfer value exceeds £30,000 and you have 'safeguarded benefits' (broadly speaking, a defined benefit pension, or a defined contribution pension with a Guaranteed Annuity Rate) you are required to take regulated financial advice before you can transfer - and that isn't cheap.

    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • UKTaxHelper
    UKTaxHelper Posts: 79 Forumite
    10 Posts

    Option two has a sting in it. The moment you take taxable money out, what you can pay back into a pension drops to £10,000 a year, and it stays dropped. Taking only the tax free cash doesnt trigger that.

  • Notepad_Phil
    Notepad_Phil Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    And that assumes you have enough earned income to even pay in that much. Many people can only pay £2880 into a pension, which then gets relief added to make it £3600.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.