We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Rundles - Council Tax

I missed a payment on my council tax in January because it was due at a time when Christmas had just been and gone, a few unexpected bills landed, and I had forgotten it hadn't come out due to the 1st being a bank holiday.

I forgot about it until I got a text message of this firm, Rundles. I just so happened to contact council tax to sort out my payments and they mentioned that the missed payment had been passed to this Rundles. I set up a payment arrangement with council tax for the missed payment and I was led to believe that the payments would be collected by DD along with my ongoing payments. I got a letter from Rundles confirming payment arrangement.

This morning I woke up to a hand written letter being pushed through from Rundles saying they visited to seize goods for non payment and the amount had increased from £352 (this is not the original amount, they added some charges when it was first passed to them, which I did not dispute) to £599. This was alarming and upsetting so I called Rundles who weren’t any help and said “we don’t do direct debits” but refused to listen to my explanation of the misunderstanding and they just transferred me to the enforcement agent and who was also rude, dismissive and threatening and said if I didn’t pay he would keep coming back to the house.

I ended the call and in a panic I paid the amount.

Since then I have been doing some research and I have sent an email to complain. But sent before I found some information that might have been useful.

Do they need to write to me 14 days before any enforcement visit? Because they didn’t.

I have only received two letters from them, one being confirmation of the arrangement and then the handwritten letter posted through this morning when they visited. It says they have a magistrates order to seize goods. Can I request a copy of this? And if it doesn’t exist what can I do because I feel they haven’t followed a proper process and made up legislation and purported themselves to have more powers than they really do to bully payment out of me.

Comments

  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,093 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier

    Formal written complaint. See what comes back. Refer it to the enforcement Conduct Board

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.