We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Work place pension

Hello all

I have just been auto enroled onto my works pension with "Nest"

There sight says they invest in businesses which obviously means when I get to retire I may have lost money (I know it can go up or down BUT!)

I don't know what to do as nobody in work seems to be able to tell me any detail atall. I am currently 63 only just started the pension I retire at 67 so only got 4 years left

Is it even worth it?

Would an ISA be a safer option atleast I am guaranteed to get back what I have paid in plus some interest.

I don't know who I can go and talk to for advice.

Thank you

«13

Comments

  • itsthelittlethings
    itsthelittlethings Posts: 2,564 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    When you pay into the pension you get tax relief and your employer pays in too. I don't think you'll find a better return on your money anywhere else.

    Hastings Direct 4775.99

    La Redoute 676.21

    Barclaycard 295.20

  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 4,091 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 7 August at 5:25PM

    Investing is for the longer term, and may suggest that is 5 years+, so if you plan to draw down this pension in 4 years, the risk might higher. But, you do get the tax relief benefit as stated above.

    However, do you not have to start drawing down your pension when you are eligible for your state pension. You can take it before (since you are over 57) or after.

    I'd recommend setting up a few session with PensionWise

    https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en/pensions-and-retirement/pension-wise

    They do not (cannot) offer advice, but will give you the information that will hopefully help you make your decision.

  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 5,884 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Is this the fund you have at NEST?

    https://www.nestpensions.org.uk/schemeweb/nest/investing-your-pension/fund-choices/ready-to-retire-fund.html

    It says:

    "If you have less than £10,000 in your pot, you’ll be moved into the
    Ready to Retire Fund, which is set up as a short-term home for your
    pension pot. It’s a low-risk fund that works to protects your pension
    pot from falls in the financial markets while you decide what to do with
    your money
    ."

    So maybe not too much to worry about?

  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 121,864 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Is it even worth it?

    You get free money from the employer. Do you not think that free money is worth it?

    Would an ISA be a safer option atleast I am guaranteed to get back what I have paid in plus some interest.

    Assuming you mean cash ISA and not stocks and shares ISA, cash removes investment risk, but it increases inflation and shortfall risk. Plus, you wouldn't get the free money from the employer.

    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 14,507 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Pension is in effect deferred salary, so by not taking it you are agreeing to being paid less than the role is worth.

  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 17,810 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    I joined NEST at the age of 64 3/4 when I started a very part time job meant to glide me towards retirement. I was only working 10 hours a week on just above minimum wage but figured it might get me enough to eventually celebrate with a fish supper from the chippy. Hours got increased to 14/week so a bit more ££ dripped into my pension. Stopped working at 67 1/3 and was pleased to get a full payout of over £1,000. Well worth it.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards.  If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board:  https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK

    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”  Nellie McClung
    ⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I don't know who I can go and talk to for advice.

    You have to pay for regulated financial advice. In your position the cost would probably be more than you have in the pension, and no finacial advisor would be interested anyway.

    Any info you see on this forum ( or from PensionWise) is general guidance only, although it can be useful of course.

    There sight says they invest in businesses which obviously means when I get to retire I may have lost money (I know it can go up or down BUT!)

    With all these types of pension, your money is held in investment funds, because in the long term these will almost always go up. However as pointed out by a previous poster your money will be in a low risk fund, that will not go up or down very much, if at all.

  • DRS1
    DRS1 Posts: 3,693 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I have to admit that if I read that page I would have no clue what the fund was invested in. I would also have been left with the distinct feeling someone had been patting me on the head and telling me not to worry about it.

  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 32,634 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    The very large majority of NEST customers probably are not interested what is in the fund, and if details were supplied they probably would not understand them anyway.

  • EnPointe
    EnPointe Posts: 1,051 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper

    this issa bizarree, unhelpful and potientially counter productive statement

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.