We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

BNPL & stoozing

Now, that BNPL got regulated, it got onto my radar again…

I understand there's an aspect of this (from the providers and the retailers perspective) to incentivise people to buy more.

However, I was just wondering, whether we can flip this towards our own advantage – just like with credit cards (and especially credit card welcome offers), one could conceivably set up a cash-flow graph to earn some small interest while delaying the payments.

I am especially interested, as I have the hunch the credit is not really free – both if I pay in one go or use BNPL I pay a small markup that'll cover the cut the retailer pays to the BNPL provider.

So, I might as well use it, and earn that markup back… 🤔

Anyone else been thinking about these things, perhaps? What's the take of this community on this?

Comments

  • kimwp
    kimwp Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper

    Pretty standard approach, I believe, but only do if you are good at managing credit.

    Personally, while I do stooze, I don't do pay later as I prefer to pay purchases off in one go rather than having them over me for the small gains on the things I buy.

    Statement of Affairs (SOA) link: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php

    For free, non-judgemental debt advice, try: Stepchange or National Debtline. Beware fee charging companies with similar names.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.